Do I need to fit a fire door between garage and utility room?

Guest Jross

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steve

Hi, I just wondered if the door has to be a slam shut lock, or whether you can have a lever handle, which wouldn't lock when the door is shut? 

Many thanks 

The door should be fitted with a suitable self-closing device and latch.They must both be compatible with the fire door leaf. The door must self-close to the stop of the door frame rebate overcoming resistance from the latch bolt and smoke seals so that the door leaf 'self-latches' into the keep at the door frame.

A lock is optional, but clearly desirable for security purposes.

• 2 months later...
Guest A Haines

Hello, what are the current requirements for a new attached garage (to be built in single skin blockwork) with a new pitched slate roof? There would be 2 fixed non opening skylights. Would skylights need special glass? Does the roof need insulating?

There will be an internal door from the dwelling Utility Room to the garage (then an internal door from the Utility Room opening in to the Kitchen). With the garage only 2m80 wide internally and 6m80 long, is the internal Utility Room/Garage door be acceptable opening in to the Garage? It was planned to be a foot away from the main car entry Garage doors. A long car may possibly prevent the internal door from opening fully?

Another  door (opening to the rear garden) from the garage will open outward. Are there Regs for this?

I assume the Garage Floor must be lowered and sloping to the outside? With FD30 Rated fire door? With self closer?

Thank you very much for your very informative forum.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Oakey

Hi 

please can I have some advice I want to put a wall across half my garage one side will have my motorcycle in the other will be the dwelling what do I need to clad in garage wall side in ie for regulations 

many thanks

The area that will be the dwelling needs to be separated from the garage area by a full 30 minutes separation and without knowing exactly how you intend to carry out your proposals I cannot give you a definitive response.

Hi! Forgive me if this has already been answered but I would like to know whether the requirements for fire doors between a garage and house are for new-builds-only, or apply to all houses.

I've just started renting a 1930s detached house with a garage, which has a door leading to a utility room, which has a door leading to the kitchen.

Do any of the doors need to be fire doors? As this is a rented property, it would need to be a 'requirement' rather than just a 'recommendation' in order for the landlord to do it.

Please can you advise?

• 8 months later...

Do I require I fire door from my kitchen to my garage if there is no car or other petrol machines or flammable liquid in there? We have the fridge and some electrical sockets but that all. 
thanks. 

Technically yes, the Building Regs just say garage, not garage with car/petrol/etc.

If you don't have one no one is going to inspect you and do anything but expect it to be picked up if you sell the house or if you do other building works where LABC are involved.

• 2 months later...
Guest GWatt

Hi, 

I am looking to slap through into my garage and fit a FD30 door. The dwelling is detached 4 bed house with the wall being 12.5mm plasterboard dot and dabbed onto thermalite block. Unsure if the information stated previously stands for Scottish legislation, can you please advise?

thanks

• 1 month later...
Guest Sue G

Hi 

My garage is detached from the house and is adjacent to our oil tank. There is currently a door on the garage between the two which is Falling apart as it is so old. I believe that I need a fire door but what type should I buy and where would I get it from 

Sue from Suffolk

• 2 months later...

Hi I've brought a new build with an internal garage and I want to use the back half if the garage for a utility room. 

we will be boarding it out like a room, there will be no other door to the rest of the garage.

do we need the door to be a fire door if it's boarded out like part of the house.

Thanks in advance 

• 1 month later...

We are renovating our 1960s bungalow.

We have an integral garage that is not accessible from within the bungalow.

We would like to move our boiler, hot water cylinder, washing machine and tumble dryer to the rear of the garage and create internal access.

The garage floor and internal floors are the same level.

Will we require a 100mm step, a FD30 self closing door, both or something else?

You will require Building Control approval for this work (it's not exempt as Building Regulations are not the same as Planning Permission & permitted development doesn't remove the requirement for Building Regulations compliance)

As part of this a fire door will be required for Part B compliance, not sure about the step, will depend on the change of level and comes under Part M.

• 2 months later...
Guest Neil P

This forum has a good deal of information which I am grateful for, thanks to all contributors.

I hope some knowledge can help with my issue with a new attached garage being added to my bungalow.

The garage has no door between it and the existing building, so that’s simple; but there is an attic room to be built in the roof space above the garage (workshop) which extends over a bedroom in the bungalow. Access to the attic room is by a staircase in the garage. This gives a route for fire from the garage to travel up the stairs into the attic room.

My thoughts are that the attic room would need to be fully clad with 2 layers of plasterboard for 30 min fire protection between the garage / attic room and the rest of the bungalow roof space (and bedroom below) Is this correct?

Also, what material would the floor of the attic room need to be in order to give suitable FP to the floor/bedroom ceiling joists?

Any ideas appreciated, thanks.

This is subject to Building Regulations and the plans will need LABC approval - they will set conditions.

It is likely that a fire door and fire resisting construction would be needed and possible additions to the fire detection system.

There are a variety of ways of protecting structural elements like joists - boarding, protective pains/varnishes, Envirograf have some of the coating based solutions.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Bobby B

We are moving house soon. The door to the garage from the kitchen has always been a standard door. Not a fire door. It's 1960/1970 house. Not sure if it ever had a fire door. We've been here since 2000 so not sure if previous occupies changed it.

As we are moving do I need to put in a fire door to the garage?

As you didn't change it yourself it could be argued that you aren't obliged to change it - however any decent survey by a purchaser is likely to pick it up so you would either need to reduce the price, get it done or, if they suspect any work has been done without Building Regulations consent ask for you to pay for building regulation indemnity insurance or latent defect insurance.

Of course they may not notice at all!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am trying to get my head around Building regulations and Building control,
We are planning to add a door opeing in the NON load bearing wall between house and integrated garage, Bulding regulation say: door need to be FD30, 100mm difference between, and smoke seal and self closing mechanism, as per https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/485420/BR_PDF_AD_B1_2013.pdf page 30,
As per Bulding contoll, Work that requires building regulation approval: Enlarging openings and removal of load-bearing walls requires Building Regulation consent. since this wall is not load bearing this work does not require bulding controll approval.
Wondering if I miss anything, or things need to be considered?