Jump to content

Tom Sutton

Power Member
  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Tom Sutton

  1. You need a survey to ascertain if you need emergence lighting and the type of E/lighting required, emergency torches may be acceptable.
  2. I am not aware of any alternative calculations and your calculations appear to be correct but trying to imagine the layout is difficult and without a full survey or detailed plans it is impossible to give you a definitive answer.
  3. You will have to study your terms of lease and maybe consult lawyer this is not really a fire safety issue as a FD30s fire door is necessary.
  4. Check out the following links they may be useful. https://www.ribaj.com/intelligence/fire-compartmentation-in-roof-voids https://www.bre.co.uk/filelibrary/Fire and Security/FI---Fire-compartmentation-in-roof-voids-Feb-15.pdf
  5. Tom Sutton


    To calculate the maximum occupancy you need more that just the width of doors you need to take in the location, travel distances and the layout of the area in question. Consequently you need to have a competent fire risk assessor to do a survey or detail plan of the area in question showing the full layout.
  6. I think you have a moral duty to inform any purchaser if any items do not meet any legal regulations and get it in writing that he/she is well aware of the situation. You then can leave any decision in their hands as they will now be responsible for the caravan and its contents. There is also caveat emptor, buyer beware its your decision.
  7. You need a more detail description of the the fire alarm system. From what you have said you have a three storey building converted into self-contained flats and this requires Grade A: LD2 coverage in the common areas and a heat alarm in each flat in the room/lobby opening onto the escape route (interlinked); and a Grade D LD3 coverage in each flat (non-interlinked smoke alarm in the room/lobby opening onto the escape route) to protect the sleeping occupants of the flat. If a fire breaks out in the flat the grade D alarm will warn the occupants to evacuate the flat if the flat is empty then the heat detector will actuate the heat alarm near the front door and set off the grade A alarm warning the whole building. If the fire is in the common areas then the grade A alarm will warn the building. This means you do not need smoke filtering from a flat front door to actuate the grade A alarm therefore the flat front door needs to be a FD30s fire door. A FD30s fire doors needs intumescent seal and a cold smoke seal which will prevent the common areas filling with smoke during the cold smoke stages of the fire. You said I just need to know if the fire doors to each floor need smoke seals or not, well the do need smoke seals as well as the intumescent seals.
  8. This is sound insulation not fire safety and you should surf the web for solutions.
  9. In my opinion yes, all means of escape need to be separated from each other by at least 30mins fire resistance. I would not rely on a fire alarm system to guarantee a safe MoE.
  10. If there is a cross corridor FD30s door across the corridor at the point the dead end starts then I would consider it meets the guidance. Anywhere the corridor has an alternate MoF escape and is within the travel distances then fire doors would not be required.
  11. I assume they are the manufacturer so fitting permanent labels to your furniture permanently then they are taking the responsibility that the materials meet the required standards of the FFFSR but if you want to take it further, then contact the local trading standards, who enforce the regulations.
  12. This is a legal matter and you should get the opinions of a lawyer, familiar with fire safety law. However in my opinion it appears the notice is served on a named person, so if that changes then I would imagine it would have to served again. Check out Alteration Notices.doc see if that helps.
  13. If the door leads to fresh air and dosent threaten a means of escape route then why make it FD30. You cannot upgrade a FD30 fire door to FD60.
  14. Does the entrance door lead to fresh air or into a common area and as a fire in the proposed store would pass into the lift shaft then to the other floors that door needs to be a FD30s fire door set or sealed with materials to a 60 minute fire resisting standard.
  15. Yes they need to be FD30s fire doors check out HOUSING – FIRE SAFETY Guidance on fire safety provisions for certain types of existing housing
  16. Get a set of plans drawn up with your proposals then submit then to build control and sort it out with them.
  17. If they were fire doors, then slamming shut would eventually damage the door, which would render them useless and outside pressure could be applied getting them sorted out however as these will most likely not be fire doors, being entrance doors then I am afraid it is up o the landlord to sort out, keep at them.
  18. There is no need to concern yourself about firemen if they have to enter via a window a piece of furniture not going to stop them anyway it is unlikely they would use a windows to enter. More of a problem if the window is an escape window as you would have to provide access to it.
  19. You need the advice of a construction steel expert check out the ASFP https://asfp.org.uk/faqs/#built.
  20. It would be subject to the RR(FS)O so you could report it to the local fire and rescue service or check with the local BC to see if it has been submitted to them for approval.
  21. You may be able to use a glued hard wood dowel or as you said replace the whole leg
  22. Your first statement concerns me we haven't had fire certificates for more than 20 years the only recorded information is the FRA and not always. Open Fire safety risk assessment: 5 step checklist after you have completed item 3 conduct a means of escape plan which should identify all passive and active fire prevention which will identify any fire doors you require including all necessary fire protection required. Next item 4, record your FRA also determine the degree of hazard so the RP knows the order they need rectifying of each item. Check out these quides https://www.firesafe.org.uk/fire-risk-assessment/ Small and medium places of assembly they may help.
  23. Contacting your landlord for a new one seems wise and in the meantime check your problem with the manufacturer.
  24. Have you since tested it and was it satisfactory, it could have been a false alarms, but any possible appliances should be checked.
  25. BS 5839 Part 6 is the British standard for domestic premises and Grade A is the type of system and L2 is the coverage.
  • Create New...