Do I need to fit a fire door between garage and utility room?

Guest Jross

If the door leaf can be identified to the manufacturer or it's fire resistance performance certification it should be possible to check the lock requirements.  Maybe the door leaf has been over-morticed at the keyhole and lock-case?

Surprised at the use of spring hinges on such a critical fire door, usually a controlled self-closer would be used meeting the requirements of EN1154 minimum power size 3 .  At the very least, I would check that the door self-closes reliably to the door frame rebate stop completely from any opening position in a safe and controlled closing action. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Door & Hardware Federation Code of Practice: Hardware for fire and escape doors. Says that spring hinges that are purely spring urged are unable to comply with BS EN1154 and therefore should not be used for fire doors.

A suitable closer that complies with BS EN 1154 should be fitted.

The lock should be CE marked and suitable for use with a fire door, there are a number of fire rated locks on the market with the older style 3 lever 5 lever key available so it possible the one you have is suitable as long as it is correctly fitted and CE marked.

• 10 months later...
Guest Dan1234

Hi, I have a quick question if anybody can help. I know you need a 30 minute fire door from garage to house, but would this also be the case if the garage door opens into a conservatory? The conservatory is still closed off from the main house with a double glazed aluminium patio door. thank you in advance

• 1 month later...

Hi. I have converted part of our integral garage into a utility room. I have built a stud wall to separate from the garage. I have also raised the level of the floor in the new utility room to the same level as the Kitchen. I am now in the process of replacing all of the internal dooors. Do I need to keep the fire door that did go in to the garage or can I now fit a standard internal door. 

many Thanks

On the basis that there is still part of the integral garage present (but smaller than it used to be), then the separating wall needs to be suitably fire rated and if there's a door in that wall it should be minimum FD30(s) self-closing. Refer to Approved Document B of the Building Regulations in England. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/fire-safety-approved-document-b