Jump to content


Power Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Interests
    Fire Safety

Recent Profile Visitors

6,362 profile views
  1. AnthonyB

    Fire extinguisher life length?

    5 years according to the sole manufacturer http://kerrfire.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/6786-Kerr-Fire-MONNEX-Datasheet.pdf
  2. AnthonyB

    Fire escape

    As long as it has a simple fastening not requiring a key or code and opens in the direction of escape (ideally) it's not necessarily prohibited. I'd check to see what consent they need to build on a shared courtyard - who owns it, what rights are in leases, etc.
  3. Building control bodies have a chequered history of relaxing and overlooking things without suitable mitigation - just because they didn't object doesn't mean it's correct. I'd go off the FRA as that would be the most recent look at the building and that assessor would carry the can if wrong not the AI/BCO. Stick to the guidance in your observations - if they choose not to implement them that's on their head not yours.
  4. AnthonyB

    Difference between a P1 & L1 system

    The law only requires life safety, so a P Category system would only be required by an insurance company or as a business continuity decision by the Responsible Person.
  5. AnthonyB

    Call point testing in flats

    You only usually need an alarm system if the premises conversion doesn't meet the stay put construction requirements - which is usually the case in house conversions. In which case you would usually need full coverage
  6. AnthonyB

    Intumescent strips and smoke seals

    Depends when they were fitted, when intumescent seals first started to widely appear in the 80's they replaced rebate only doors but smoke brushes weren'r widely used, it's not uncommon to find original build doors from that era that would today require smoke seals only having intumescent.
  7. AnthonyB

    Difference between a P1 & L1 system

    A P1 system will have longer standby battery supply duration and must be monitored. An L1 system has a shorter battery supply duration and doesn't need monitoring (unless high risk such as a care home, hospital, shopping centre or similar) A P1 system does not incorporate manual call points or sounders (or just a couple of strategically placed sounders) as it's not there for life safety (picture for example a telecommunications transmitter station - it's in the middle of nowhere, is rarely occupied and even when it is is small enough not to need an electrical fire alarm for life safety but it is quite critical to the owner's business that a fire is detected and help sent ASAP). In many buildings however there is a requirement for the minimum life safety electrical fire alarm system (Category M, just call points and sounders) so if a P1 (or for that matter a P2) is required for property protection only (most buildings don't actually need detection for life believe it or not) in these buildings it has to have call points and full sounder coverage and would thus be a P1/M system (or P2/M)
  8. A 3 hour fitting has to be tested to and meet it's full rated duration. If it's lasted less than that it fails, you replace it. Fittings aren't that expensive these days, e.g. https://www.safelincs.co.uk/eden-led-emergency-bulkhead-light/ The relevant standard BS5266-1 requires sleeping accommodation to have fittings with a three hour duration.
  9. Loads on eBay, plus I often have loads pulled off sites. They are popular with people with tropical fish tanks too as they use them for the plants or something (not my thing). The empty cylinders have a trade scrap value of a few quid as they can be pressure tested and refilled.
  10. AnthonyB

    retail shop redesign

  11. AnthonyB

    Fire Door Gaps

    Never assume an old in situ door complied with the regulations of the day, the old fire door standard would not have usually had large gaps, there was no such thing as intumescent seals and a tight fit in a rebate was essential. If you have excessive gaps then the door will not perform, there will (depending on the door location & what it's protecting) be a risk of serious harm and an offence may have been committed - waiting up to 4 years does not sound proportionate, plus if you are having a competent person inspect your fire doors they will tell you if it needs replacing as oppose to waiting for the risk assessor (who may not be a competent person for fire door inspection). Advice sources: https://firedoors.bwf.org.uk/ & https://www.asdma.com/ Look here to see the reality about non conforming fire door installations:
  12. AnthonyB

    Guest bedroom leading off kitchen/diner

    All the different guidance in Scotland for sleeping premises has been revised and consolidated into one document: https://www.gov.scot/publications/practical-fire-safety-guidance-existing-premises-sleeping-accommodation/ From your description the section for smaller guest houses will probably apply: https://www.gov.scot/publications/practical-fire-safety-guidance-existing-premises-sleeping-accommodation/pages/12/
  13. AnthonyB

    Fire extinguisher life length?

    It sounds like the poster may be from the US where they still give extinguishers a full service life and overhaul. NFPA rules apply. If they are over 20 years old they can in theory remain in service as long as they are hydrostatic tested and recharged - but this is subject to the manufacturer still being in business and that they were made after 1984. They should be inspected monthly, serviced annually, recharged 6 yearly and hydro tested 12 yearly. New equipment prices are such in the US that hydro-testing, refilling, etc is still economically viable unlike in the UK
  14. No - no common areas, the Fire Safety Order does not apply.
  15. AnthonyB

    Room within a room