Guest ChrisDo

Why do I need a door closer?

Hi timbo,

To achieve compliance the self-closer you install must be to minimum power-size 3 to BS EN 1154.  Select a self-closer that has power adjustment up to size 4 or 5 with adjustment for both closing speed from fully open to almost closed as well separate adjustment for the latching action.

This type of self-closer, correctly adjusted, will close the door correctly overcoming any latch bolt resistance and close quickly enough to satisfy your requirements.

Guest LondonMan

Hi, a little self close door advice needed please!

I live in a flat in a converted Victorian townhouse which has three dwellings. The two upstairs flats are accessed by means of an external staircase to the first floor, then an external door to a small hallway containing the two internal private doors to the two flats (the third flat has their own door on the ground floor).

This external door has never had a self door closer in the 16 years I've been here and the freeholder (who happens to live downstairs) decided to install a self door closer on this external door without informing or asking either leaseholder. Neither leaseholder for either of the upstairs flats asked for or wanted the freeholder to install this device.

Is it law that it needs to be there? Am I within my rights to ask him to remove it

Thanks

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.