What certification is needed to be allowed to install fire doors?

Guest GrantT

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Neil Wilson

Hi, I own a building company and we have been employed to refurbish an assisted living building. In this building there are numerous door openings that require fire door set installations. In addition to this we have a machine shop so in our machine shop we have the capability to assemble fire door sets. There seems to be a grey area surrounding what we can and cant do regarding the assembly and installation of fire door sets.

Im aware that in order to alter the size of a certified fire door product or cut apertures you need to have certification through BWF or BM Trada etc for processing fire doors, as we don't have certification we do not attempt to do this and we send them to another joinery company locally who have the certification. So for all of the communal doors we have picked the products (door, casing and ironmongery) and had these approved by the designers, we have submitted the certifires to them and agreed to install all products to the manufacturers fitting guidelines, provide installation pictures and submit our evidence. We only have level 3 qualified joiners working on either assembly or installation so are these classed as competent as they are actually trained to assemble and install these through their qualification. The client has asked if the doors will be certified, so my question is if the doors have not been altered and have certification, fitted into a fire rated casing with certification and fitted with ironmongery conforming to the test results of the certificates with relevant BS No's for the doors and these have been installed to manufacturers instructions Ie fixed, packed, foamed, sealed etc pics taken are these doors certified or do they need to be assessed by a third party if our company or the site manager is not CertFDI? Or given that we have followed the guidelines very strictly and can demonstrate that we have taken all necessary steps to assemble and install to the certifire guidelines if we submit a schedule of installations and the supporting information in my O&M folder for the F10 will this suffice?

Im hearing all different things from people regarding who can do what and some saying that we cant assemble doors and casings without certification to do so, which seams crazy to me. So any advice would be welcome

Thanks Neil

Hi Neil,

You are correct there are some misleading statements doing the rounds.  The first thing to say is that there's no legal requirement  for fabricators at the joiners shop to have a dedicated fire door qualification and the same goes for installers.  However, clearly better results are likely to be achieved where those operatives do have adequate training.

The problem with fire doors is that its easy to fall foul of the requirements and finish up with a non-compliant fire door. Many certificated fire doors have strict trim allowances and so are only suitable to be used in their standard sizes, so fire rated door blanks may be a better option where openings are non-standard. Although of course where new fire door frames are to be installed it may be possible to add to the door frame thickness to suit standard size door leaves.

The bottom line is that the fabrication and assembly works must be compliant with the fire performance test report  for that particular fire door leaf, and requirements may vary from fire door leaf to fire door leaf. The correct and compatible hardware must be fitted and the installation works must again be in accordance with the requirements of the fire test report.

Most door leaf manufacturers provide installation instructions, data sheets and technical manuals but the quality of detail within those documents does vary.

Start by selecting a fire door leaf that not only is suitable in terms of fire rating but also in terms of durability and resistance to heavy use. Then obtain the technical manual/product data sheet for that fire door leaf. Follow the information therein being careful to observe the requirements in terms of fabrication, selection of compatible door frame, seals and ironmongery as well installation. Be careful to use the correct product for fire stopping between the door frame and the surrounding wall, some fire foams do not have test evidence for timber based fire doors. Also, be careful where air transfer grilles are required as these products do not offer cold smoke protection.

You should provide a copy of the technical manual/data sheet for the door leaf and all other components that make up the fire door assembly for the client O&M manual. Furthermore in support of the fabrication/assembly/installation works it would be good practice to provide photographic evidence that the work has been done in accordance with the product data and installation requirements. Also, be careful to make sure you adhere to the requirements for cold smoke protection. 

The most important thing is that fire doors are fabricated, assembled and installed compliant to the evidence of fire performance so if you can demonstrate that's been done then your client should be happy.  Ultimately, though your client may have there own requirements such as inspection and sign-off by an inspector or that products and installation works is third party certificated. In my experience, though, third party certification of some products and installation works is no guarantee of quality.

Please don't be put off, go for it and provide a quality service for your client. We need more competent and diligent fire door contractors.  

Useful and important resources: Product technical manual/data sheet for the fire door leaf and all other components of the fire door assembly.  BS 8214:2018 Timber Based Fire Doors, Code of Practice.  Code of Practice: Hardware for Fire & Escape Doors.  Information sheets about intumescent fire/smoke seals https://www.ifsa.org.uk/documents/

Hope this helps. 

• 3 months later...
Guest Karen

Hi Neil

I seem to have asked everywhere I can. The council said I should contact he fire brigade who advised I Google companies that can Certificate my door but no joy. I'm a council leaseholder and have been told my flat door needs to be fire safe by June or I'm in breach of my leasehold. A friend had made my flat door safe by fitting the strips and closer etc. Can someone please advise where/who I need to contact to Certificate the door? 

With thanks

Hi Karen,

"Certificate the door" is the wrong phraseology and demonstrates a lack of understanding about fire doors.  Certification relates to fire doors and component products where the manufacturer is a member of a third party certification scheme. 

My advice is to have the fire door inspected by a Certificated Fire Door Inspector, after inspecting the door they will issue an inspection report. The report will either list the fire door as compliant or if there are any compliance issues the report will include details of the remedial work required. https://fdis.co.uk/find-an-inspector/ 

The council should accept the inspector's report as evidence of compliance, assuming of course that the fire door is indeed compliant.

• 3 weeks later...

Why cant I find any jobs anywhere for a certification fire door inspector? Just all installers. And how much of a pay grade difference is there between the two? The course is nearly 3k so surely must pay well? 

• 1 month later...
Guest Stephen

I am a glazier. I fit pvc/timber doors all day. Call out last night to a concerned for welfare incident which presented me with a very unwell domesic external fire door. If I source and fit a replacement door leaf only, from the same manufacturer, using the reference number found on the door, and as its a like for like replacement do I need to be accredited? 

You don't have to be accredited to install, maintain or repair fire doors.  But you do need to be competent. 

The main issue is that there is little in the way of standardization when in comes to installing the different makes/models/types of fire doors. Different makes and models of fire door may well have different requirements for intumescent seal sizes, hinge positions and lock case sizes for example. 

All fire doors should have technical data sheets or installation instructions and these must be followed in their entirety. If not then, the performance certification is void and the fire performance may be jeopardized.  

So if you are installing a new fire door leaf into an existing frame, you may for example find that the required hinge positions are incompatible with the existing frame.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest Vision panels in existing

Hi
 Can you advise me.
I have two fire doors in s Church building which because of health and safety checks require a vision pane, in each.
I can get a carpenter to do it  and he will source the fireproof glass and necessary glazing beads for it.
He is Certified to fit fire doors  but not the vision panels
Is it okay for him to do this?  If it is done correctly would we be breaking any regulations?
Thanks
 Mr Arthur Cox 

There would be no regulation broken providing he is a competent person, which means he/she is a person where he/she has sufficient training and experience or knowledge and other qualities to enable him/her properly carry out the required work.

However any documentation guaranteeing the fire door, to meet the required standards (certification) could be annulled if not done by a person approved by the certification company.

Check out ASDMA Best Practice Guide.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there. I work for a large housing association as a door/window fitter I'm a qualified fenestration surveyor. + fensa.with 25 years experience .iv been instructed to fit fire doors and frames to 350 flats but the doors have been surveyed by a plumber with no experience of doors or fitting .I'm not comfortable with this.can you tell me wot the law is please 

The Responsible Person defined in The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 is required to conduct a fire risk assessment and this document will instruct you which doors are required to be fire doors. If you need to know which doors need to be upgraded or repaired, you need the services of a fire door inspector check out Fire Door Inspection service or similar organisation.

Where replacement fire doors to flat entrances or in communal areas is necessary, the survey work is an important job.  It should be done by somebody that understands what types and sizes of fire doors are available and how they should be installed. 

Just for example: Do you replace the door leaf and frame, or just the door leaf?   How much can be trimmed from the edge of the door leaf for installation?   What is the best type of door leaf construction for the job?    What type of lock should be fitted?      What are the best types of smoke seals for the particular job?    What type of threshold plate and seal should be used?     Can a door-viewer or letter-plate be fitted?

The better the survey, the better the end result.

Edited by Neil ashdown
Typing error corrected

• 2 months later...

Depends on the certification body or training provider. If you are looking at third party certification and/or training for installation and/or inspection of fire doors, undertake sufficient research before you part with your money. Satisfy yourself that you are getting the best and most comprehensive that is available.

Edited by Neil ashdown
To add more information