Can a fire exit be used as daily entry point?

Guest JenniferKn

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Nathaniel

At a place of business I work at, the staff entrance has always been designated as a fire exit in all the years I have been there. To enter when premises is closed to the public, we call a number and a manager let’s us inside. To exit, we press a button and the door opens for us to leave. There is signage on the outside of the door saying it is a fire exit. Recently management have decided it is not a fire exit and is being manually locked whilst the building is still occupied. Is this legal?

On 19/08/2022 at 09:58, Guest Nathaniel said:

At a place of business I work at, the staff entrance has always been designated as a fire exit in all the years I have been there. To enter when premises is closed to the public, we call a number and a manager let’s us inside. To exit, we press a button and the door opens for us to leave. There is signage on the outside of the door saying it is a fire exit. Recently management have decided it is not a fire exit and is being manually locked whilst the building is still occupied. Is this legal?

Not without a fire risk assessment that is suitable and sufficient and by a competent person justifying why means of escape is still acceptable without it, usually based on the guidance here: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/fire-safety-law-and-guidance-documents-for-business

• 3 months later...

can someone help

i live in a warden controled building and i have to carry a 15kg battery out to my car for my boot scooter now at the side of my door there is a fire exit which i have been using for the last 3 years to carry my battery and shopping back into my flat. due to being disabled i can,t walk the long way round, yet i,ve been told i can,t use the fire exit anymore to exit the building.

can you help

• 1 year later...
Guest Kernow

It is my understanding that a final fire exit door can be used as an entry if is has the correct external unlocking device, if the door only has the quick release push bar or push pad then they should only be used for exit when needed and not for regular egress from a building 

• 1 month later...
Guest Roger

A single story club with a fire exit hallway approximately 14 ft long 6ft wide.are we allowed to hang pictures on the walls.

It is often done in such premises and probably without significant detriment to fire safety. Where done, I would agree with MN above and also say frames should be secured with mirror plates or similar to prevent them being dislodged. 
However, it doesn’t seem logical for Building Regulations to require fairly stringent spread of flame characteristics for walls in escape routes only for someone to go plastering them with all sorts of detritus.