Do I need to use special paint on new fire doors?

Guest KatherineSta

Guest KatherineSta

We have recently purchased a property which we intend to renovate and rent. It is currently fitted with interior fire doors which we will replace but wondered whether you need to use special paint and door furniture on fire doors? Thanks

• 9 months later...
Guest MickCas

I have just purchased pine fire doors from a diy store.

There seems to be little advice available on what sort of varnish to use.
can you help

many thanks

You may use the paint or varnish of your choice however BS 8214:2008 says,

Fire door leaves are generally not required to provide a specific surface spread-of-flame barrier, and may therefore be decorated as desired. There is no evidence to suggest that over painting of intumescent seals has any detrimental effect on the ability of the seals to perform efficiently. There are some benefits in over painting the seals as they are less likely to absorb atmospheric moisture. However, there are limits on how much paint can be applied without there being a risk of the seal being rendered inoperative. It is recommended that over painting be limited to a maximum of five coats of conventional oil-bound paint or varnish. When preparing a frame for redecorating, the use of heat or chemical strippers should be avoided if intumescent seals are incorporated. If seals are damaged by either of these processes, they should be replaced. If glazing beads have been painted with intumescent paint, it is essential that they be repainted with a similar paint.
It also says, Painting of smoke seals or combined intumescent and smoke seals should be avoided as such coatings can inhibit the door from closing completely, and the seal could be damaged as a consequence of adhesion to the adjacent element.

• 6 years later...

If they are fire doors you can paint them, but be careful about wrapping them as the fire performance test evidence for fire doors places restrictions on adding facing  and edging materials to fire doors.  Can you find out which manufacturer made the doors?  If so you may be able to get hold of the product data sheet and therefore the information you need.

• 2 months later...

'BS 8214:2016 Timber-based fire door assemblies - Code of practice' places no restrictions on the type of paint or lacquer in terms of the fire resistance performance of the door.

The issue with paint or lacquer is that build up of layers of oil or solvent based paint or lacquer may increase the rate of the spread of flames across a surface in a fire. Surface spread of flame is very different to the fire resistance of a door so when painting doors, walls and ceilings take account of the use of the building in terms of surface fire spread considerations.

Surface spread of flame test:

Fire door test:  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fire+door+test+video&docid=608028868971005737&mid=59C8261F1AE9C29E9A9359C8261F1AE9C29E9A93&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

• 8 months later...

I have two fire doors for the entrance of my flat. The exterior one looks very outdated, and I would like to modernise it. Reading the previous posts I can see that the wood part of the door can be painted, but I want to know if the glass on the door can be spray painted? If so, what type of spray paint can I use? Thanks.

• 2 months later...
Guest Guest Marlene

I have mould over my fire door is there anything I can do and my other fire doors look yellow is the way I can strip the paint and repaint them.

Guest Richard

I have just rented my first commercial property which is going to be a deli, therefore it will have a lot of cooking equipment in it. There is also a flat above with people living there. There are no fire doors at all in the building, the landlord has had all the interior doors glossed with oil based paint. Will this affect my insurance, and should I be following any precautions such as having the doors replaced as they could potential be more hazardous if a fire broke out? Thanks 

You need a Fire Risk Assessment. Is the flat separate from the unit (i.e. separate entrance and stair) or is it part of the unit. Where there is inadequate fire separation between the unit and the flats above this will require fire alarm systems between the two & more.

You may have inadvertently acquired premises that do not meet the legal standards for fire safety - catering premises with accommodation above are a high priority for enforcement and on conviction a prison sentence of up to 2 years and an unlimited fine can be levied.

You need a competent person to carry out a risk assessment - you will then know where you stand. You might not need much doing - or considerable works could be required!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Timber-based fire doors are tested for fire resistance (to BS 476 Part 22 / BSEN 1634-1) not for surface spread of flame.  Therefore you may paint them.  In any case water-based paints are very good, easy to use and available in a good range of colours these days.

• 6 months later...