Does my front door need a lock without key?

Guest ChristopherWarr

Guest ChristopherWarr

hello

I am trying to find out if my front door needs a lock that can be opened without a key in case of a fire. What law do I follow

thanks for your help

Chris

Chris same as Harry you need to give more information is it a a private domestic dwelling, is it a house, flat or House in Multiple Occupation? Are you, your family or friends the only people that will use the door?

Guest ChrisWarr

hi there

I live in a council flat, that has gone to an association flat. They have changed the fire doors to the other flats changing mine but have been told that thumbturn is required.

but they havent fitted them

thanks for your help

chris

The front door has to be a fire door to protect all your neighbours from a fire in your flat but your side of the door is not subject to The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 however the common areas are. This means the method of escape in case of fire from your flat is your responsibility and the means of escape from the common areas to outside the building is the association’s responsibility.

So in the common areas all the emergency doors must not be so locked or fastened that they cannot be easily and immediately opened by any person who may require using them in an emergency without resorting to the need for a key. There is no such requirement on you in your flat but I would suggest you do make them easily operable from the inside without the needs of a key for you and your family’s sake.

I would imagine who has to foot the bill will be contained in your tenant agreement.

• 7 years later...
Guest Sheelagh

I live in a housing association house I would like a lock fitting that makes it easier to turn in an emergency without the need to search for keys I have arthritis and find it difficult to turn the keys would I have to pay how does the law stand on this please?

• 2 months later...

I am leaseholder of a flat in a purpose built black (28 yrs old).

FRA done 2 years ago, made no mention of Flat Fire doors to common areas, other than doors met with safety regs.

New FRA done this year, now mentions possible entrance door remedial work. Doors are recognised as FD30s. (written in the FRA)

All intumescent strips in place.

I attach a photos of the roller lock fitted, which I replaced earlier this year, before the FRA. I replaced internal lock with same as was there, which is a Union make.

Does this lock look OK for the purpose?

Door fitted with original Perko closure, which works perfectly closing the door over the roller lock (great cause I cant lock my self out of the flat) 

inside-Union-lock.jpg

door-lock1.jpg

thks.

I understand that others here are being asked  change the doors completely !!!

It looks to me as if this is an ideal situation to be doing things unnecessarily, we can be told anything.

Are Perko chains OK on a 28 year old purpose built block of flats (ground/first and second only), if they close the entrance flat door??

Older single chain perko's don't usually meet current or even contemporary standards (it's not impossible though, compliant versions do exist and have done for a while). In existing premises it's usually only rising butt hinges or no closer at all that is a high priority non conformity, as your build was during the period after the introduction of the 'modern' building guidance of Approved Document B then as a compliant fitting at the time, with a compliant door leaf and layout of the building being post 1991, it would usually be acceptable whilst still in full working order.

• 1 year later...
Guest Mr Thomas Luke Anthony

Hi,

I live in housing association and have had a few break ins from people on the block but the officers wouldn’t dust for prints, anyway the inspector advised I put a padlock on the door for when I go out as that’s when they’re entering the door is a foam filled fire door with metal front with a euro cylinder lock which they’re picking I’ve fitted the padlock but the property manager is being difficult, the lock in theory would be harder than the padlock to remove but would show tampering by.a neighbour, as it’s a fire door and the padlock is on the loop locked when I’m in so no one can lock anyone in and it’s only used obviously when I’m out is this ok? I’n my eyes being attacked because someone had broken in is more of a safety risk to me, as it is they came in while I was asleep and I had to put a easy release bolt to prevent that when I’m in and I’m having difficulty getting the police to look for evidence.

• 2 weeks later...