Fire door requirements

tim1619

Hi all,

I have recently completed my Fire Certificate and have been asked to conduct a fire RA at my local rugby club. I'm satisfied with most of it however.......

None of the doors that lead from the main bar into corridors, toilets and other parts of the building appear to be fire doors. There are certainly no intumescent strips or smoke seals. They are all well fitting. As far as I can tell there is no compartmentation at all because of this.

It's a brick and tile 2 storey building built in 1980.

I've looked at the RRFSO and Approved document B but can't see anything obvious around having to replace old doors? I've see a previous post regarding 'notional fire doors' which if my understanding is correct means they don't have to be replaced.

Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks

Tim

What size is it?

Some simple small buildings require no compartmentation and, depending on travel distance and number of exits, no protected routes either.

Based on it's age if any of the doors are intended to be fire doors they may be to the old pre-intumescent seal standards where the door would be well fitting into a 25mm rebate.

If so it's up to the risk assessment process to determine how essential it is to upgrade (read PAS79-1 for a fuller explanation, you should ideally be following it's methodology in any case).

You would consider the persons at risk, exits, alarm system, fire risks, other protection, etc when deciding if modernisation is just a recommendation or a necessity to protect the occupiers.

On 13/08/2021 at 09:03, tim1619 said:

Hi all,

I have recently completed my Fire Certificate and have been asked to conduct a fire RA at my local rugby club.

Your first statement concerns me we haven't had fire certificates for more than 20 years the only recorded information is the FRA and not always. Open Fire safety risk assessment: 5 step checklist  after you have completed item 3 conduct a means of escape plan which should identify all passive and active fire prevention which will identify any fire doors you require including all necessary fire protection required. Next item 4, record your FRA also determine the degree of hazard so the RP knows the order they need rectifying of each item.

Check out these quides https://www.firesafe.org.uk/fire-risk-assessment/     Small and medium places of assembly they may help.

Thanks Anthony B and Tom. 
I’m reasonably happy with the FRA process itself. 
but as always theory into practice is always a bit different!

lots to think about!

On 13/08/2021 at 19:52, AnthonyB said:

ased on it's age if any of the doors are intended to be fire doors they may be to the old pre-intumescent seal standards where the door would be well fitting into a 25mm rebate.

This is the bit I was looking for! ?