Fire doors in a domestic 3 storey house

Guest Marie

Guest Guest 07

Hi I am currently at the sign off stage of a large extension. We have added another floor to the property by converting the loft. 

We have an interlinked smoke alarm system from top to bottom.

One means of escape via protected staircase

On the 1st floor is 4 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. On the top floor is a bedroom with an internal ensuite. Bedroom is protected by fd30 fire door at top of staircase.  My question is would the bathroom on 1st level require a fire door to meet with building regulations . My build started in September 2020 

My understanding as a qualified fire door installer is this is generally not the case as it is classed as low risk and not a habitable room. As per nhbc guidelines. 

Thanks 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Guest Marie

Hi, we have purchased a house with a loft conversion, making it 3-storey. Was signed off by building regs in 2020 but the doors are definitely not fire doors. Just have closers on. We want to replace the doors, are we ok to replace as is with no fire doors? Surely we can be expected to replace all 14 now we’ve bought it? 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Scott

I have 1960’s 2 storey Dwelling with a Dorma which was apparently done when house was built, but originally only had loft ladder access. Stairs were added 20+ years ago by previous owners. I wanted to modernise the 3rd floor and use as bedrooms so had architect and structural plans done to bring it up to scratch, all work is now done and had building control in for final inspection and now being told i need fire doors on all habitable rooms. I was told by a different BC inspected early on in the project that fire doors would not be required and i have mains linked smoke alarms in ever room and hallway plus every room has escape window all bar the 3rd floor below 4.5m. I would add i have had 3 different BC inspectors in total the first saying different to the last. 
Problem i have is the whole job is complete decorated and carpeted with new extremely solid doors but not “fire doors”. 
As the 3rd story was “existing” as such and any work i have done has only improved safety where do i stand? 

If i did end up having to replace my new doors with new fire doors do i need to replace frames? 

Also all work was completed by myself.

Scott

• 1 month later...
Guest fife

Hi, we are adding a ground and first-floor extensions to a Victorian house that has originally 3 floors (no loft or additional floor has been added to make it a 3 storey building).  Is it compulsory to upgrade the doors to habitable rooms that face the stairs to make it protected?  If we are not intending to replace the doors can they stay as original and if that's the case is it necessary to install a fire-rated door in the kitchen + smoke detectors on landings?

• 3 months later...
On 29/08/2023 at 11:58, Guest Norma said:

Do you have to fit intumescent strips with a fire door in a domestic house or can you have a fire door with no intumescent strips?

If it's an existing older house that hasn't undergone relevant building work where current standards would be applicable then no.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, 

we own (and live) in a flat in a 1890 tenement building in Edinburgh, and the main entrance door to the building came to the end of its life and needs replacing. (the building is not historically protected)

Do we need to comply with any fire regulations for the new entrance door and if so where would I find these (I only found English and Welsh)? There are several flats in the building that are rented out. 

Do only new buildings need to comply with the regulations, or do old buildings need to comply as well if components (such as the door) are replaced?

Thank you very much!

• 3 months later...
Guest Peter

Hi there, I recently bought an 1930s 3 storey house. I believe the loft conversion was completed in 1983. There is a fire door but no smoke seal in the loft conversion.All other doors are 1930 non fire doors and wired in smoke detectors on all floors. Where does this leave me? Do I have requirement to upgrade all the doors to FD30s in line with Part B Regs, or can I leave it as it was signed off like this? 

Pete