Fire door direction of opening

Guest steveJohn

Guest steveJohn

Non-domestic use.
On a first floor, I have a 5 meter long corridor. At each end is a fire door leading to an 800 square foot office . In the middle of the corridor is a fire door leading towards the stairs. Is it acceptable for the office doors at each end to open inwards into the office and not outwards onto the corridor?

A 800 sq. ft. office is likely to accommodate about 20/25 persons and although guidance usually suggests doors should open in the direction of escape, it is acceptable that a door can open inwards providing the numbers likely to use the door is small and providing it is accepted by the Fire Risk Assessment.

The problem is the Fire Safety Order article 14 (d) says emergency doors must open in the direction of escape but as far as I am aware it is not acted upon for small rooms unless there is a very good reason. I also say any door you need to escape, in my opinion, are emergency doors or maybe the FSO interprets it differently.

• 3 years later...
Guest Fire door

I live in a new build - 6/7 flats per floor - and that fire door to the entrance hall/lift lobby on each floor doesn't open in the direction of escape - is this legal? Thanks Robert

• 9 months later...

I sometimes work in an equipment room which has fire door/exit which when opens blocks the exit such that once out you have to re-close the door to make an exit. There would only be a small number of people that would need to use the escape route.

Is this legal

It would be subject to a fire risk assessment and because of the small numbers it is likely to be acceptable. Most fire safety requirements are not legal or illegal, the words necessary is used often, it is all about risk assessment.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not necessarily - if you have an assembly area that has exit doors opening into corridors or stairs before reaching the final exits that may be used by over 60 persons then the interior fire doors separating these areas would also be expected to open outwards etc.

Otherwise you will still get the fatal crush just deeper in the building.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...