Can external escape routes go past windows?

Guest Neil

• 3 months later...

Will it require Council permission to alter a kitchen window to an essential fire escape door to regulation built escape walkway to garden. Thank you in anticipation of answer.

• 11 months later...

Hi

im after some advice please, there is a building renovation next door to me, between us is a walkway on my boundary which is a fire access for the block I live in. The developer has started cutting an opening for a window which is on this walkway and to the side of my front door (about 5 footsteps between my door and window) the window is due to have top opening which if anyone was to use walkway would be knocked out. The party wall surveyor I instructed wants nothing to do with this now he signed the original paperwork which showed windows elsewhere 

is this legally allowed? 

thank you

Hi

A old house turned into student accommodation has a concrete enclosed staircase escape with two fixed georgian wired glass windows in timber frames. We want to change the windows. What do they need to be please?

Many thanks 

Neil

Depends on where they are and why.
If they are Georgian wired for impact protection then suitable toughened/laminated safety glass, if for fire then it needs to be 30 minute fire resisting glazing (which due to advances in technology over the last couple of decades can be clear without wires). Toughened/laminated safety glass is not fire resistant as a matter of course it needs to be specified as both.
https://www.ifsecglobal.com/fire-protection/guide-to-fire-resistant-glass-and-glazing/

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Peter in Property

Hi

We have a warehouse that has an internal office on the first floor. What would your recommendation be for the glazing in the windows overlooking the warehouse? Would you suggest they are fire rated to prevent spread of fire into the offices? Is there a standard that should be adhered to for internal glazing in such a situation?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Sandy Riach

Can a final exit door under and external escape stairwell be fully glazed? My though is no it cant. The minimum it must be for a two storied building is 1 hour.

• 2 years later...

Hi, after some advice. I have an external balcony type escape route on the first floor, four flats on this floor. Flat entrance doors and windows along the balcony, the windows are 1100mm from balcony floor.

Should the windows be FR? If so, only the glazing could be changed as I don’t think the residents would be happy to have fixed windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.