Can we leave fire exit door open?

Guest VickyDav

Guest Duchess of Kent
On 18/08/2017 at 08:23, Tom Sutton said:

If the shared corridor is a protected route then all the doors will be FD30s doors, self closing and if you prop these doors open then it is certainly against the regulations. There should be a mandatory, white lettering on a blue circle sign stating "FIRE DOOR KEEP SHUT" and it is not there to decorate the door.

Dear Mr Sutton,

I live in a block under the umbrella  'Sheltered Housing' consisting of 9 flats and 9 bedsits on 3 levels, ground floor, 1st floor and 2nd floor. We have a communal lounge which has a double glazed patio door to the garden. It is kept closed and locked for security purposes but the landlord has put up a Fire Exit sign above the door!  Now my question is; Does a fire exit (final door) have to have a push bar and open outwards or can it be like this one which is a normal patio door and has to be unlocked to use and opens inwards?

There are 5 doors in the building leading to the outside but only 2 have the push bar.

I have spoken to the landlord but they seem convinced they are correct in this type of door being a 'Fire Exit'.

I would really appreciate your thoughts.

Regards

Marie (Duchess of Kent)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depending on the location of the exit door and the number and type of people expected to use them there are a variety of different escape fastenings that are acceptable, not just a panic bolt. Also whilst it is desirable to open in the direction of escape this only becomes more of a requirement where over 60 people may be likely to use it.

What isn't allowed is the need to use a key, code, fob or similar to open the door - as a minimum the patio door lock would need to be changed to an escape deadlock with a thumbturn like this one: https://www.homesecureshop.co.uk/products/yale-thumb-turn-euro-cylinder-door-lock-as-platinum-ts007-3-star?variant=34894066516136&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=CjwKCAjwydP5BRBREiwA-qrCGtg_VeuIjPDYHval1VqFUywdlHgnLHlIwjhOn4eFIBHBmPyNoiX8pxoCrcUQAvD_BwE

• 1 year later...
Guest Mary hill

I live in a block of flats and we have fire exit doors,each door says on it" fire door,keep shut" cleaning staff have to make sure all doors are shut before they leave,(for fire/ safety check)..one of them told the residents that fire doors cannot be wedged open while they're outside in the back garden enjoying the sun,,and the response he got off them wasn't very nice,(in fact the resident swore at the maintainence guy

they've constantly got it wide open till late at night..

The door opens out,from the in,but you cannot get back in from the outside,as it's no handle on it..and many can't be bothered walking round to the main entry door to go back in..so

who's in the wrong here? Residents or the maintainance guys?

If it's the final exit to the outside then it doesn't need to be a fire resisting door or shut unless an external stair passes close by or sometimes an escape route that is alongside the building and can only be used by passing the doors with no alternative.