CO alarm went off then stopped

Guest Guest TP

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

It’s 3:00am, and my carbon monoxide detector just went off with four beeps and stopped. It’s plugged into an outlet that is affixed to my furnace, and it has AA batteries. It hasn’t gone off again. I noticed that it had the original batteries, so I changed them out. The tester works. It now has a green light on. Is it safe to go back to sleep? 

Guest Guest Kidde CO question

My gas furnace stopped working due to a bad draft inducer yesterday. I had a tech out, but the furnace stopped working again a few hours later. As a stop gap measure, I boiled water on my gas stove overnight, waking up every two hours to refill the pot. At 4:17 am, my Kidde Carbon Monoxide detector went off. I turned off the thermostat (to stop the draft inducer from trying to run) and shut off the stove. The alarm stopped going off. I have left the building, but should I worry about the safety of furnace technicians today, and myself and my dogs tonight?

I am especially worried because many symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning resemble the symptoms of poor sleep followed by being woken by an alarm in the early morning. 

Please advise.

On 13/12/2021 at 11:05, Guest Guest Kidde CO question said:

My gas furnace stopped working due to a bad draft inducer yesterday. I had a tech out, but the furnace stopped working again a few hours later. As a stop gap measure, I boiled water on my gas stove overnight, waking up every two hours to refill the pot. At 4:17 am, my Kidde Carbon Monoxide detector went off. I turned off the thermostat (to stop the draft inducer from trying to run) and shut off the stove. The alarm stopped going off. I have left the building, but should I worry about the safety of furnace technicians today, and myself and my dogs tonight?

I am especially worried because many symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning resemble the symptoms of poor sleep followed by being woken by an alarm in the early morning. 

Please advise.

Ask the technician to check for carbon monoxide for you.

• 1 month later...
Guest Belfast

Kiddie Co2 alarm went off this morning with single beep. It’s only about a year old. Went and changed batteries and the move to fresh air went off. Took the alarm outside and it continued to go off. No gas appliances on at the time. Thoughts? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Guest Bri

Our CO alarm in the bedroom went off about 12:45 this morning. This is a brand new alarm, only 1-2 weeks old, that plugs in and has the back up battery. I unplugged it from the wall in the bedroom and moved it into the living room and plugged it in again and reset it. It stayed quiet for a minute and then sounded again. I went to the laundry room to check if the one in there would sound if I moved it to the living room or bedroom but before I could unplug it, it started to sound. I reset both of them and just set them on the recliner to see if they would go off together. They did start beeping after a minute. I took them outside and reset them and the one from the laundry room sounded again so I took the battery out for 15 seconds before replacing it. Neither one of them sounded again, even when I plugged them back into the original spots they were in. I'm not sure why the one in the bedroom sounded first. The only things that use gas in our house is the water heater and the furnace. We are getting the furnace replaced so we can't even turn that one on because the repair man made it so we can use the air if we need it but the heat will not turn on so we can't poison ourselves with CO. The second CO alarm, that went off later, is the one that is in the room with the furnace and water heater so I'm not sure why the one in the bedroom, that is farther away from where any gas should be, is the one that sounded a few minutes before the other. Any thoughts? The water heater should be the only thing using any gas at this time but it wasn't running as far as I am aware. The air wasn't on either so I'm not sure why the bedroom alarm sounded first because air shouldn't have been circulating through our vents.

It must have been a pocket of carbon monoxide floating about that caused on then the other to activate.  Since you do not mention any more activations, I would have to assume the pocket of carbon monoxide has since dispersed. Have you since pressed its test button, and did it sound? 

I would however suggest you purchase a battery operated stand alone CO alarm that has a digital counter as well as the two you have and monitor the display.

• 2 months later...

My Carbon Monoxide Alarm is around 8 years old, its mounted above the boiler door on my landing, my gas is capped, so I cant use cooker or boiler, but my alarm just went off for the 1st time ever, it bleeped 3 or 4 times every 30 seconds for about 3 or minutes, then stopped, that was about an hour ago, is this a sign of a leak or battery please

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest-Nik

Hi, we were using an air fryer. The smoke and CO alarm went off. We pressed the hush mode button, and then it said "Carbon Monoxide Detected" just once, beeped once/twice, and then stopped. It didn't repeat so was this a false alarm?

• 4 weeks later...

My co2 alarm went off at 10pm with the fault/battery light flashing yellow with 1 beep every 5 seconds. It then stopped and went off Again at 5am and continued almost every half hour until 11am in which the co2 alarm sounded 4 beeps and a red flashing light but the co2 alarm which is placed next to the other one remained quiet I tested other one and it works fine

If the alarm indicated low battery, I would suspect it needs a new battery. Since the other CO alarm remained silent, and sounded when you pressed the test button, this would indicate a problem (Low battery?) with the first CO alarm.

A few questions.

How old are they both?

When did you last change the batteries?

What is the make and model of each CO alarm?

I should also point out that CO2 is what makes fizzy drinks fizzy, it is also what CO2 fire extinguishers are filled with.

Carbon Monoxide is written as CO

CO2-fire-extinguisher.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest Guest Jen

My CO detector just went off 4 quick beeps, pause, repeat, then silence for the last half hour now. We JUST replaced the batteries a month ago. Our heat is on (we got the furnace serviced last year)but when I moved the detector to a vent it didn't go off or anything. Should I be concerned?

When your carbon monoxide alarm is near its end of life (Average life is 5-10 years, some are 7 years, it should be marked on the unit) may I suggest you get one with a  digital display, that way you can see any level of CO.

You can buy one with display for £25.19 Click here

You can buy one with display for £24.90 Click here

Please note BOTH the above have replaceable batteries, which means they are NOT suitable for Scotland

For a carbon monoxide alarm with non replaceable battery which is Suitable for Scotland Click here

• 2 months later...
Guest Just A Guest Needing Help

hi there. We are in a trailer and our CO/propane alarm is near the floor. We have been in here for about 2 years now and never had an issue until the last couple months. The alarm will randomly go off about 6 or more times (usually in the early morning or late night urg) then stop by itself and be green. It's usually when we aren't running anything (Only gas ran thing is our heater and stove and we're hooked up constantly so it doesn't require batteries or gen). Well 2 days ago it went off again super early in the morning (again, nothing running no heat on) and would not turn off. Bf panicked got up and turned it off. Then it turned on again. So we opened everything up turned a fan on and cleared it all out it went silent for 2 days. Now fast forward to tonight, we turned the furnace on (floor furnace through out the trailer) and about an hour of it running it went off again. We turned it off and it stayed silent for about 4 hours. Now it just went off again. It's driving us insane and we're really worried but unsure what to do since it's so inconsistent. When we hit the test button too it'll turn green for a long time before going off again.. I should note the people who installed it (hard wired in) put it between the bathroom and the kitchen and right next to an electric fireplace and the furnace vent..Not the best place imo. It says the date to replace isn't until 2025. I just was posting hoping to get some insight on this. I know the obvious thing to do is to call 911..But I was hoping to get an opinion beforehand since it's been really weird/acting up for months now and sometimes we won't hear from it for weeks at a time. We're hoping to get a second one (just CO) to get a second opinion so to speak..Any idea the best place to set it? Thanks in advance.

Hello, this being a UK based forum, we do not have propane alarms as an everyday item. None of the information I have found suggests mounting the alarm on the floor/low level. That aside, if your alarm does, as you say " really weird/acting up for months" then I would suggest you buy another (different brand) alarm and follow the manufacturers installation instructions