Fire detection communal areas and flats

Steve B

Was just after some advice. I’m a small electrical contractor.  Ive been asked to submit a quote for fire detection and emergency lighting in communal areas. I’m ok with the emergency lighting but a bit unsure of the fire alarm requirements. 

The premises is domestic, old Victorian conversion with around 4 flats over 3 floors, not including basement. 

Am i right in thinking i need to install a grade A (LD2) system with heat detectors from this system in entrances of each flat? Also a grade D system in each flat (domestic smoke alarm mains and battery from flats own electrical installation?

would appreciate any help or links to info.  Thanks 

• 1 year later...
On 16/07/2018 at 13:09, Steve B said:

Was just after some advice. I’m a small electrical contractor.  Ive been asked to submit a quote for fire detection and emergency lighting in communal areas. I’m ok with the emergency lighting but a bit unsure of the fire alarm requirements. 

The premises is domestic, old Victorian conversion with around 4 flats over 3 floors, not including basement. 

Am i right in thinking i need to install a grade A (LD2) system with heat detectors from this system in entrances of each flat? Also a grade D system in each flat (domestic smoke alarm mains and battery from flats own electrical installation?

would appreciate any help or links to info.  Thanks 

Hi there, I would REALLY really appreciate it if you could let me know the approximate quote for what this worked out to be? We’re buying somewhere for the first time and we need almost exactly this (7 flats over 3 floors) before we can move. Would really appreciate any info on the cost for these works! My email is tobynaylor@hotmail.com.

Many thanks, all the best.

Toby

Toby,  I doubt you will get  a reply from Steve B as he only made the one post, and has never been back since, also in general it is never a good idea to ask on  a forum how much someone paid for a job since it will always have too many variables to be of any use, such as location, labour rate in your area, actual materials used, not to mention he asked over a year ago and prices in general have changed.

• 1 month later...

the FRA advice we are given says we need a fire alarm and safety lighting for a set of stairs and landing - that we all need new fire resistant doors to our flats and front door. Is this not overzealous

Not necessarily depends on the FR assessor's survey, I would suggest you check out the appropriate guide.

For purpose built block of flats use Fire safety in purpose-built blocks of flats

For a house converted into flats use HOUSING – FIRE SAFETY Guidance on fire safety provisions for certain types of existing housing

• 4 years later...
Guest Mike Williams

Hi, I am a landlord of a two bedroom flat on the first floor. 
At present I have a hardwired smoke alarm on the landing at the top of the stairs and a heat alarm in the kitchen. 
From my landing you go down a flight of stairs to my front door all within my flat. 
Do I require by law a smoke alarm at the bottom of the stairs by my from door. 
Thanks Mike. 

• 2 weeks later...

No, as there is no room at ground level, just the entrance:

(1) A relevant landlord in respect of a specified tenancy must ensure that—

(a)during any period beginning on or after 1st October 2015 when the premises are occupied under the tenancy—

(i)a smoke alarm is equipped on each storey of the premises on which there is a room used wholly or partly as living accommodation;