Which system to choose?

Guest Desmond

Guest Desmond

Hello,

I am converting a large Victorian house into self contained flats. I have been advised that I need fit a domestic grade system to the flats with a smoke detector and heat detector and a AOV vent in the communal area. I have also been advised that a panel isn't mandatory.

I am speaking to a variety of electricians but I wondered what alarm systems are 'good'. The two that have been most commonly mentioned are Aico and Fike Twin Flex Pro.

Opinions?

Building Control Officer has informed me that a grade D domestic system is needed in the flats and a grade A in the communal area (stairs and landing). However, he cannot and will not advise on what systems/makes to go for.

Hi, representing Safelincs, I am, of course, a bit biased but I will try my best.

For the Grade D system I would choose the new Fireangel Pro series, as they offer a 'Sleep-Easy' function which goes some way in overcoming low battery beeps in the middle of the night, which is something that plagues other models.

For the Grade A system, as you presumably have a fairly simple layout (one alarm zone per floor with not too many floors), the most cost efficient solution in terms of equipment costs is a conventional fire alarm system. Installation costs are a bit higher than for an addressable system but as long as you just have a few landings to monitor, this is a good and economic option. It is best to sit down with your electrician and run through the few sub-options (eg two wire or four wire panel) to optimise the installation costs. You can then order the panel and detectors etc for your electrician to install.

Harry

Sorry to differ , I would get a fire alarm company in to quote and install / maintain a fire alarm. I have seen electricians install fire alarms and the alarm does not comply to the regulations it was installed for. I am not saying that all electricians get fire alarms wrong, I am saying that electricians do not need to know fire alarm regulations to be an electrician, long gone are the days of Pyro with mains bells and call points..  

Grade D system - any mains powered interlinked alarms with battery back up by a recognised brand would suffice - Aico, EI Electronics, etc

Grade A system - To save on cable costs a twinwire system would suit well (one cable can have both sounders and detectors/call points on instead of having separate cables for each), the Apollo Alarmsense equipment using C-TEc or Kentec control panels are common combinations used for this.

Because it is a conversion you need a Grade A system with control panel, sounders, detectors, etc. Only purpose built flats don't need a communal fire alarm and in these there is no fire alarm panel, the detection is linked directly to the smoke vent control panel