Ei141 Green LED off but RED flash every 40 secs!?

Guest David

How long will it last without mains power please ?

I have tested and witnessed my 3 interconnected Ei141 alarms function as expected and yet there is no green LED light.

The 9v Batteries must be driving the units.  Every 3 years I hear the Chirp so I replace the 9F batter and all appears to work again.

So is the mains-power not really necessary ? Or is there a way the GREEN LED can be off for any other reason?

Thanks]]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
Guest David

Hi Safelincs,

my my alarm sounded in the early hours for no apparent reason - not just the intermittent beep. I replaced the battery, but now I notice that the green light stays off and it will occasionally beep. Does the lack of green light mean the mains power has been interrupted?

Thanks,

Guest David

Thanks Harry.

Having read a few of the other posts, I gave the alarm unit a clean up with a hair dryer. The red light is behaving properly and the alarm isn't beeping. On pressing the test button the alarm will sound then reset. Do I understand this correctly, that if the elec supply was interrupted, the alarm would not sound? (Green light still off)

David

• 10 months later...
Guest Meow

Hello, I have a EI 141 alarm. It was beeping before so I changed the battery. The beep has stopped but I realise next to the green light, there is a red light which is flashing around every 40seconds. Is that normal?

Also on top of the alarm , it has a little print that says replaced by 2016. If it has expired, do I have to change it asap, I did the test and it still works. 

Hi Meow

The green light indicates that the power supply to alarm is fine and the red blink every 40 seconds indicates that the alarm is in good working condition.

After ten years, smoke alarms are starting to become less reliable so you should ideally change. There are dedicated alarm head replacements available which just slide on the old base

Harry

• 8 months later...
Guest WorriedStudent123

Hi,

I have the mains alarm fitted in every room in my student home, and recently the one in the kitchen started it chirp every 5 minutes then a couple of hours later the whole system started going off without being able to be silenced without turning the mains off. Now another alarm in a different room is chirping, is there anything I can do to make sure they do not all go off again?

many thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest John robertson

Hi ive just fitted an aico ei146rc optical smoke detector to mains 240v no green light bit intermittsnt red light does this mean i have a mains issue somewhere. Will this unit work without interconnecting to another device

• 4 months later...
Guest Clark

3 of the 4 smoke alarms have a green light, but the 4th is red.....The alarms went off at 5am and again at 7.  No fire, no smoke and no humidity .  Why is the one red?  No chirping

• 4 weeks later...

It depends on make / model of your smoke alarm as to what it should or should not do, you do not say this information.

If it is just battery operated it will have no green light and it is normal for the red light to flash, if it is mains operated most have a green light that should be constantly on to indicate mains is present.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Re: Ei141rc

Hi, all of a sudden my alarm is flashing red every 40 seconds and the green light has turned off. It’s been chirping every 40 seconds too.

Nothing has changed or tripped so I can’t see why it’s started beeping and the green light is off. 

I’ve changed the back up battery, it’s stopped beeping for now but still no green light.

Previous comments suggest no green light means mains issue. Could it be that it’s never been mains connected for the 5 years it’s been in place and has just been working from the 9v back up? It’s possible the green light has never been on and I’ve just not noticed. I’ve another in the house and the green light is on...

FYI I’ve  vacuumed it too.

I’d like to avoid the expense if getting an electrician out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I have replaced my existing smoke detectors with 2 new hardwired ei141rc both green lights showing mains power one of the units has a rapid red light flashing I've tried switching both units with red light still flashing on the one situated in the hallway units brand new out of the boxes no need to vacuum  any help or suggestions appreciated 

Thanks

Bill

• 1 month later...
Guest Dave Mac

Hi there, I've got 2 Ei141 smoke alarms,and I've just replaced the batteries in both.

But the 1 downstairs is still chirping every 40 seconds. Green light on and red light blinking as it should do.

I've looked at the forum for answers and searched for other alarms in cupboards and drawers (non found)

I know you said that when you take of the face of the alarm,there is no way that the chirping can come from the base still attached to the ceiling,but that is where the chirping appears to be coming from!!!

Please help,it's driving me mad