Ei141 Green LED off but RED flash every 40 secs!?

Guest David

Guest Guest, Dave M

Hi we had a tense night 2dys ago with 1 of the 6 smoke alarms going off only for a short blast, we are thinking of getting battery 1s and then switch these off at the mains will they shut down completely or is there a battery inside that will keep them going??

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest Mccall91

Hi 

I have a EI multi sensor alarm... The green light is on, on the front cover but I have a red flashing light on the side... No instructions (fitted by council) 

Can't figure out what it means or what to do! Can anyone help 

• 1 month later...
Guest Richard

Changed all aico ei 151tl smoke alarms to aico ei141rc wiring different as there are two  blue wires ie a battery wire which the ei 141 doesnt have. I connected the battery wire and neutral together as suggested in an earlier post all alarms work in sync apart from there is no green  light showing any suggestions 

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rapid red lights

I've had 3 new ei141 installed this morning, 1 on each floor in the hallways and landings. 

The red light on all 3 is constantly flashing rapildly and has been doing so since 11am when they were fitted by the electrician. 

When can I expect the to flash at the normal rateand what do I need to do to reset them. I've tried pressing and holding the test button for 10 seconds on each but this makes no difference. 

• 1 year later...
Guest Mike Smith

I have 2 interconnected Ei141 smoke alarms. Both in date (Oct 23). They both have a green light but both have a rapidly blinking red light. Both pass test and batteries are new and tested with volt meter. What is causing the red light please?

• 3 months later...

So my smoke alarm sounded last night just for a very short blast. It woke me up with a jump and then it was gone. I checked the house nothing wrong and because it was so quick I thought I was dreaming at 3am went back to bed. Then it happened again slightly longer at 5.30am... And stopped no more than 1 minute later. The alarm is now blinking two red lights every 40 seconds where as downstairs is only blinking once every 40 seconds. I've tried Google but not really found what it means.

It's a Aico Ei141RC Ionisation Smoke Alarm Mains Powered from what I can gather... If this helps in any way. Just seems odd to have such a gap as I don't think it's flat batteries ? 

A red LED flashing twice in 40 seconds means that That detector has gone into alarm.

For the sake of argument you have 4 Aico detectors interlinked. You are in the garden and you hear the alarm, but it stops as you get back in, you then look at all your detectors, which ever one is flashing twice in 40 seconds, is the one that went into alarm.

If it has not cleared press and hold the test button for at least 10 seconds

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

My Deta alarm goes off every few hours just three chirps. There is a green light on all three alarms and a red flash every few seconds. Have switched mains off but it still goes off. What the hell can I do, it's driving the whole family mad.

Which model of alarm is it? You also say it gives 3 chirps every few hours, but you also say you have 3 smoke alarms, do they all chirp at the same time, or is it just one? Switch the mains back on, as switching it off will only make matters worse, as they will now be running on battery only. How old are the smoke alarms, when did you last change the batteries in your smoke alarms?

I should also mention that as you posted at 01:23 this is a public forum and most of us are asleep at that time, which is why you do not get an "instant" reply, but a reply as and when we are able.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Kirstie

Hi my Ei opitical heat alarm went off this morning on the landing now noticed it’s flashing red ☹️ I’ve pressed the test button for ten seconds but still flashing what could this be as the alarm has not sounded again since this morning 

The instructions state that you should press and hold the test button for at least 10 seconds to reset an Aico alarm, after which it should revert to normal operation, part of which is the red LED will flash every 40 seconds (approx) The green LED should remain constantly on to indicate mains is present.

I should also suggest you find out which alarm you have for when the time comes to replace it, as there is no such thing as an "optical heat alarm"

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mike S.

Woken up Monday by chirps at 5:25 a.m. that took 20 minutes to end. Changed all the smoke detectors but I notice the one in my bedroom is doing a red flash around the circular rim every 30 or seconds. The light is green and there is no chirping. This is the only one of the new smoke detectors that is doing this. What does this red flash in the circular rim of the smoke detector mean?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Jameel

I have 2 e141 smoke alarms that are mains power connected and the green lights is on both and the red light flashes 1 every minute or so…however last two days  the alarm goes off for a few seconds on both then stops with out any smoke at different times of the day which is very annoying…what could be the cause of this