Rear garden is hemmed in

Guest DavidScho

Guest DavidScho

I live in a 3 storey town house where there is only access to the garden at the rear. This is to say that the neighbours at either side have built hedges, fences and sheds, only allowing me to exit the property from the front. Also at the rear there is a wall and then a 10 foot drop in to a beck. this is probably about 10 metres from the rear door. Does this contravene any fire safety regulations

See section 2 of AD B for Dwelling Houses and diagram 4 - for an exit route to be accepted into an enclosed courtyard or garden the depth of back garden should exceed the height of the house above ground level or where a rear extension is provided the height of the extensions (whichever is greater).

Bear in mind this is only if your access route to the front door is unacceptable - i.e. you have to pass through a risk room in order to exit the property - if you pass through a normal hallway the premises should be fine. Do you mind if I ask why you're raising this as its come up a few times recently?

• 5 years later...
Guest Guest

Friend of mines garden (end terrace) is escape access for his property and 2 others. One neighbour and friends just walk through his garden even if not an emergency. Is this allowed??

• 1 year later...
Guest Lou Lou

Hi I am renting a small cottage with front door leading into living room, very narrow hallway and into kitchen. The back door leads to a garden. Either side neighbours have fencing up. One side has a house built inches from the fence. The other side has a garage with a small space between that and their house. How would I exit if a fire was in front of house ?? 
I’m sure this doesn’t comply with fire regs. 

• 2 years later...

Hi. I rent a cottage from the trustees of a small village hall. The village hall has an enclosed garden. The trustees want to put a fire exit in the fence between my garden and the hall garden which will remain unlocked and so give access into my garden. Can I refuse this on grounds of lack of privacy and risk to my security?

• 2 months later...

@Guest Tiny - fire exit gate in the fence doesn't have to be unlocked - it can be fitted with a crash bar or push handle type fire exit lock.

This will allow it to be opened from the inside in an emergency, and from the outside with a key.

• 5 months later...
Guest Rus08

our garden has an exit open, for emergency but except for two neighbors, they also closed it. Example if my way the right will be blocked, I would like to go to the left, but it is closed by the neighbors. What rules