Does a screwed-on fire door sign make a fire door invalid?

Guest AngharadW

Guest Neil Ashdown

HI,

Tom is correct, usually the screws used to fix signage would be so small as to cause no problem. But you are correct to raise the issue because most fire resisting doors are made from naturally insulating timber. if you remove timber from a door to fit a concealed door closer, mortice lock, bolt through handles or in some cases hinges then you are replacing timber with metal which will conduct heat and may contribute to increased charring and thus early integrity failure of the door.

In such cases there are intumescent protection kits available to retain the insulating properties of the fire door. You can find out more about fire doors at www.fdis.co.uk

Neil.

Btw. use of correct sinage is mandatory for fire and escape doors.

Guest Safety Signs Express

Hi

In addition to Neil's statement use of correct signage is mandatory for fire and escape doors this is correct and all fire doors should have a Fire

door keep shut notice fixed to either side of them at eye level. If in in doubt about using screws these signs are available in self adhesive.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I work in a care home.

We have a tea room with a plain fire door that i would like to make look more tea room like. 

Am i able to stick wood moulding to one side of the door?

Would it need to be hardwood?

My thinking at the moment is as long as it dosnt change the integrity of the door or interfere with it closing itll be fine.

Is this right?

Cheer Andy

• 1 year later...
Guest Jo Scott

Whilst on the subject of screwing things to fire doors, would fitting access control magnetic locks (linked to the fire alarm system) to a fire door invalidate its certification?

On 23/02/2021 at 10:03, Guest Jo Scott said:

Whilst on the subject of screwing things to fire doors, would fitting access control magnetic locks (linked to the fire alarm system) to a fire door invalidate its certification?

It depends on the door and the certification it has.if I had to say ‘generally’ it would be that maglocks using through-door fixings should not be fitted where avoidable and definitely not above a glazed aperture.