FRA - Removal of fire door to an office

Al Rutter

Hi, you have probably been asked this 1000 times, but I couldn't find an answer so here goes.  I have been asked to assess the risk of permanently removing a fire door from an office. The office has a single point of access / egress, through said door, and no window. Once out of the door, turn left 3 meters or right 20 meters to get to Fire exits. The office is manned 24/7. Has the usual Fire detection systems. Fire sources would be from a small kitchen, electrical or paper. Kitchen and bins emptied at least daily. Kitchen generally clean and tidy and bins emptied daily. PAT and Fire System are well maintained.     

What should I be considering? 

If the door was removed and someone was working in the office, the alarm should sound. The office is not in frequent use, less than 1 hour daily. All personnel are able bodied so could escape. I appreciate that, when built, a fire door was installed. Presumably at additional cost, so if they could have installed a cheap door, they would.

But, I cannot see why, taking Risk as a measure, it cannot be removed; but will bow to your experiences if you can state a case as to why it must stay.

Thanks in advance   Allen 

You said "The office has a single point of access / egress, through said door, and no window. Once out of the door, turn left 3 meters or right 20 meters to get to Fire exits."

1. When you exit the door, is it into a corridor and is there more rooms opening into the corridor?

2.  Is the fire exits a final exit or to a protected route?

3. What is the maximum travel distance in the office as from the door is is excessive for high or medium risk and could be for low.

Without a physical survey and more details it is impossible to give a satisfactory reply.

Hi Tom, 

to answer your questions:

1. You exit the office into a corridor, with additional rooms.

2. To the left, the exit is to a stairwell, 1 flight down to exit the building. The to the right, pass by 1 office and a kitchen into a room 12m x 10m. At the opposite end are 2 exits, 12 o'clock and 10 o'clock.  1 is to external fire escape stairs, the final door is to a protected route.

3. The room is 3m x 3m and 2m high to a false ceiling. 

Hope this helps