Battery life of emergency lights

Guest ChrisQual

Guest ChrisQual

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

I am talking about emergency light fittings in a public place. Eg a pub or a restaurant. For emergency lighting & emergency escape lighting.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris

I think what you are talking about is the battery for self contained emergency lighting unit. Yes they do have to be replaced and I found one supplier who stated " Sealed Nickel cadmium cells with a life of at least 4years and comply with EIC standards." I have heard 5yrs mentioned and I would assume there is a test to establish if the needs replacing but I do not know what it is. You should contact a supplier of these batteries or sparks who has experience in this field.

Tom

Hi Chris

I am assuming we are talking here about mains powered emergency lights with backup battery. The regular maintenance tests should identify battery failures. Eg if the emergency light does fail the annual 3 hour test, it would be time to replace the battery.

In general it can be stated that emergency lighting batteries are required to last 4 years.

As EN60598 2 - 22 states:

'Self Contained Luminaires shall incorporate batteries which are designed for at least 4 years of normal operation. These batteries should only be used for emergency related functions within the luminaire or its satellite.'

That does not mean that you have to replace before then or after.

• 1 year later...

The batteries in self contained emergency lights should be changed on an "as and when" basis OR at the end of their expected life, which ever comes first.

To expand on that.

Annually all emergency lights should be left to run on their batteries for a minimum of 3 hours. Any that do not last 3 hours should be changed immediately.

Depending on make of battery, they each have a differing life expectancy. When the life expectancy date expires the batteries should be changed. Some makes it is 4 years some it is 5 years.

I suggest that when a battery is changed the date of installation is written on the battery for future reference.

Safelincs supply spare batteries CLICK HERE

• 1 year later...
Guest Ethekid

Emergency lighting.
Most of the above points are true, but from experience, changing them in a school regularly, it's actually cheaper to change the complete fitting. I have bought LED units (so no tube changing needed there) for £13 +vat and the batteries cost around £10 +vat. Unless 2 quid is a huge amount it's much easier. Very easy to change as well.