Door closers, which side of the door ?

I was wondering i have a council flat and the council told me i had to put a door closure on it. I put it on the outside of the door. The council told me it doesnt look right and should be put on the inside. I told them them the manufacturers instructions says it can be fitted on both sides of the door. They came back saying the head of maintainance said it should be on the back. Is there any regs that say what side it should be on? What are the fire regs on closers ? 

Thanks Vince 

Vince

The closer should have a certificate reference (usually a CF number)and this certificate will state in which locations the door closer can be fitted. For example, CF111 for the Briton 2003  closer states that the closer can be fitted in figure 1 position ( standard position with the body of the closer on the door on the pull face) and figure 61 position ( closer fitted upside down with the body of the closer on the transom on the push face). The door may also have a certificate reference on the top or the side of the door and this will confirm which door closers are permitted with the door. If you have fitted a closer which is certificated, compliant with the certificate of the door and is fitted in accordance with these certificates the installation will be acceptable. If I was you I would get hold of a copy of the certificate by Googling the Certifire certificate number (Certifire CF???), check it is installed correctly and then show this to the council along with the fitting instructions.

I am not aware of any guidance that says self closer should be on the inside but in most situation I am aware of, the S/C is on the inside. One problem having it on the outside it could easily be interfered with and if required, may not work. Could you provide details of the self closer so I could check it out.

Some housing associations specify the self-closer be fitted to the outside so that the fire safety officer can check residents have not removed the device.  Where a self-closer is fitted to the push side it must have fire test evidence for that configuration, sufficient power-size to BS EN 1154 and be installed using the correct parallel arm bracket.