Extinguisher for arson

Guest Stewart

Guest Stewart

Need Help choosing a Fire Extinguisher for my home. 

Some idiot is going around in my area and setting peoples front doors on fire while people sleep. As far as I know he is using some sort of petrol and a lighter. I would like to keep an extinguisher at home just in case. Can anyone recommend the correct one please. 

Hi Stewart

How dangerous and scary!

Hmm, while powder is frowned upon inside buildings these days, a small powder extinguisher might be the answer. It makes an awful mess, though and can get inhaled.

An alternative is a foam extinguisher which works well on liquid fires.

You should also consider anti-arson letterboxes to stop arsonists setting fire through the letter opening of your door.

Harry

To add to what Harry says, I would also ask have you got a working smoke detector near the door? if not safelincs can supply those too Click here I would suggest an optical one.

I would also suggest that you buy two fire extinguishers, hopefully you will never need to use either, but if you do use one you still have the other one as back up. Once used / partially used an extinguisher will loose all its remaining pressure over a short time, and needs to be refilled, but with the cost being so low for a new extinguisher, its often not worth it, so some times a bigger extinguisher is not always the best.

Whilst (with good reason) the use of powder is frowned upon indoors in this situation,due to the use of accelerants and the resulting raging fire, the rapid knockdown and large mass for mass fire fighting capacity of powder is such it would be a worthy choice, but don't go lower than 1kg, ideally 2kg