Emergency lighting in a supermarket

jessica smith

Hi Jessica

I would recommend maintained directional exit signs, as exits not only need to be highlighted in situations when the mains power fails but also in panic situations when mains power is still provided. In these situations you require the best possible visibility of exit signs.

Harry

Sustained emergency luminaire is an old fashion terminology, in BS 5266-1: 2016 the terms used now are Maintained fitting (M), Non-maintained fitting (NM), combined emergency luminaire M/NM, Compound self-contained emergency luminaire M/NM, and Satellite emergency luminaire is used and each luminaire can be NM or M.

Maintained or non-maintained is the principal consideration, which is decided by the use of the premises.

Maintained mode is generally used in places of assembly such as theatres, cinemas, clubs and halls. The lights are typically dimmed when these premises are occupied and the emergency escape lighting prevents total darkness. Maintained fire exit signs are also used in public spaces even where these are well lit to offer clear escape route guidance in evacuation situations where the power does not fail.

Non-maintained emergency luminaire: a luminaire whose emergency lamps only come on when the power supply to the normal lighting fails. Non-maintained is the typical mode in a workplace or similar environment in which artificial lighting is normally deployed while the premises are occupied.

Combined emergency luminaire: a luminaire containing two or more lamps, at least one of which is energized from the emergency lighting supply and the other(s) from the normal lighting supply. A combined emergency luminaire can be either maintained or non-maintained.

Compound self-contained emergency luminaire: a luminaire providing maintained or non-maintained emergency lighting and also the emergency power supply to a satellite luminaire.

Satellite emergency luminaire: a luminaire for maintained or non-maintained operation and which derives its emergency operation supply from an associated compound self-contained emergency luminaire.

Check out https://www.firesafe.org.uk/emergency-lighting/ or the British Standard 5266 part 1 2016.

• 2 weeks later...

Glow in the dark signs do not excuse adequate lighting unless part of a full way guidance system and subject to constant exposure to light to stay 'charged' but they are a good selling point for the installers.

A standard self adhesive vinyl or rigid plastic exit sign will suffice as long as it has a suitable emergency lighting fitting within 2m producing sufficient light output.

Internally illuminated exit boxes are usually needed(& indeed were traditionally a legal requirement for decades)in places of assembly operating in the 'Maintained' mode. They are usually also installed by default in new installations.

AB what legal requirement requires internal illuminated exit signs in supermarkets, yes for premises that the normal lighting is extinguisher, during the time the premises are occupied, like cinemas, theatres, clubs and places of public entertainment, but not normal commercial premises, I would be interested to know.

Never said that they required maintained internally illuminated exit signs, just places of assembly. However by default all new installations seem to have them, usually a BCO/AI thing, so a requirement for Building Regs.

A supermarket can, as I said, have a normal sign as long as there is EL nearby - or just use an exit box instead

You said "internally illuminated exit boxes are usually needed" my argument is they should not be, if building control required them, it would not be in accordance with the guidance but could be for compensatory reasons and I cannot imagine what those would be.

If companies wish to install them, when they are not needed, then that is up to them, but if they are being told they have to install them they should investigate to ensure they are not being ripped off.

Usually needed in places of assembly is what I said - a supermarket is a shop, places of assembly include mostly licensed premises such as theatres, pubs, dance halls, etc that for over half a century have required exit boxes, I think we are getting crossed wires here!