Cleaning toys after a fire

Guest Saf

Hi,

I was wondering if you could advise me please- we had a fire at our nursery setting, soot and smoke damage was in the ground floor where the kitchen was pretty much completely burnt out.

My question is can we clean toys and resources for the children or should we just renew? 

I read bleach is the best thing but I am also aware it's not safe for younfg childrne who put everything in their mouth.

Thank you in advance.

Most soft toys can only be surfaced wiped. In addition to soot fires generate various toxic and hazardous by products which could contaminate the toys so really renewal is the safest option - your loss adjuster should have written these off in your claim as fire damaged

• 1 year later...

Toys made from natural wood will warp and become rough if dunked in water; instead, wipe them with a clean, lint-free cloth dipped in either a 50/50 mixture of distilled white vinegar and water or mild soapy water (think dish soap, hand soap, or a baby variety). Follow soapy cleansers with a towel dampened with plain water to remove residue (water and vinegar evaporate cleanly). "Tackle very dirty spots or stains with rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and then wipe with a damp cloth after," suggests Novak. 

• 1 year later...

Should you discard plastic infant and toddler toys if they have smoke damage or is cleaning them a safe option.  My restoration company is marking them all to be disposed and not sure the insurance adjuster is going to accept this