Emergency override switches (Green Box) - testing

Meady

Does anyone know how often the little green override switches fixed next to electronically locked doors along exit routes need testing in-house?

I've been pointed to BS7273-4:2015 and the maintenance section suggests every week in-house and every six-months by a competent person??

But, the FRA produced shows that the green boxes only need testing in-house every quarter to comply with British Standards so we're all really confused!  

Due to security, the doors do not release upon actuation of fire alarm, so we thought every quarter is a bit risky...but then again, every week is a bit much!!

HELP!! :)

Ask which British Standard the FRA is referring to - it's not unknown for them to be quoting wrongly!

The maintenance intervals is BS7273-4 will be taken as the benchmark in any legal case or audit. It is possible to have a different regime of testing, but only if it can be demonstrated that it provides an equal level of safety proportionate to the risk. Sainsburys did this with their fire alarm testing, but had to do a lot of data analysis to prove their point (helped by their detailed records, otherwise they would have been stuck.)

The intervals mirror fire alarm intervals, although the weekly test there isn't of all call points, just different ones in rotation, perhaps a similar regime with your green releases would be easier to implement

Thank you Anthony...the guy that completed the FRA has said that the quarterly inspection is his own recommendation.  He has suggested a quarterly test (rather than annual) because of the fact the doors do not automatically open when fire alarm is set-off.  So he wanted more regular tests to make sure the green boxes work. 

I'm still a bit worried so we are thinking of a monthly test of all green boxes.  

• 3 years later...
Guest Crockett

Can anyone advise me how often the green emergency door release points should be tested, and also is it just a case of inserting the key to check that the door opens. 

Help please!

An amendment was made this year to BS7273-4 that introduces a testing regime for these - basically they should be tested in the same way as fire alarm manual call points, testing one a week and using a different one each week with no limit on how long it takes to get round them all - if you have 4 you do them all over 4 weeks if you have 44 it's OK to take 44 weeks to get around them all.

How to test depends on make & model of break glass unit - some you use the test key to activate the point and reset it, others (with a resettable element) you activate the same way as for real (thumb pressure to the centre of the element) and use the test key to reset (it's important to find out which as with some that you test by activating normally you can damage them if you use the test key as it's just a reset key really)

• 4 weeks later...

In reality, these devices are rarely tested in that the fire alarm sounds for 5 to 10 seconds, but there aren't people available at that specific time to check if they fail safe. It ios also worth noting that many of these are provided where they are not permitted (see building regs). I would suggest installing suitable electro-mechanical locking devices, so you can have secure entry (coded locks, card readers etc.), which are not interfaced with the fire alarm system, cheaper and need no test regime. 

• 6 months later...

As a Fire Risk Assessor of some years standing I am not happy with the Green Box as it is being located in positions which can it is being confused with the Red Fire Call Point by people who have a Red/Green Colour Blindness. My personal choice would be to have them interlinked with the Fire Alarm so that only 1 box would be required to operate them. there is normally a manual operating button located next to them and I have seen, the Opening Button, Key Pad, Green Box Override and Alarm Call Point in a line with their bases touching each other as fitted by the installer.

If all the boxes are mounted "Nose to tail" I can see this causing a problem as some "boxes" need to be reset by inserting a key in the bottom, so yes they should not be mounted in such a manor.

As for having the override interlinked to the fire alarm, if the override was needed but not an emergency then what would be the point of setting off the fire alarm to release a door?

Red/green colour blindness is the reason each "box" has written on it what it is for. The only colour blind person I have met could read quite easily.

Each device (fire alarm, break glass door release) should have the appropriate safety sign with the relevant pictogram and text where there is any ambiguity as to the location & function of these items which would overcome any colour issues.

As a risk assessor you should be familiar with BS 7273-4:2015+A1:2021 which defines what safety features are required for electronically held doors and that in most cases you will have both the local double pole override (green break glass) to drop power to the magnet and a fire alarm interface with the controller.

• 8 months later...
Guest Late reply to comment,
On 17/11/2021 at 12:32, Guest Dave W said:

As a Fire Risk Assessor of some years standing I am not happy with the Green Box as it is being located in positions which can it is being confused with the Red Fire Call Point by people who have a Red/Green Colour Blindness. My personal choice would be to have them interlinked with the Fire Alarm so that only 1 box would be required to operate them. there is normally a manual operating button located next to them and I have seen, the Opening Button, Key Pad, Green Box Override and Alarm Call Point in a line with their bases touching each other as fitted by the installer.

Whilst I can understand the point made, I do not agree, manual fire alarm call points should not be operated in circumstances such as "Bomb or suspect package alert" and evacuation routes should be chosen in such circumstances to avoid the threat. Operating fire alarm call points may trigger or cause the activation of a bomb in some circumstances, and in addition, to operate the call point would cause all occupants to evacuate via the nearest exit, this might be towards the bomb or device.  Finally, even those who are colour blind, would be able to read the text displayed on the green override device, usually stating "Emergency Door Release" and the fire alarm call point would usually have a "Fire" symbol, if the devices do not have such symbols or text, I would recommend that it is added to the said devices retrospectively.