Fire insulation for flats?

crl

If the garage is a commercial garage you do need 60 mins separation between different purpose groups.  A fire resistant floor can be achieved a number of ways but the floor above and the ceiling below has to be considered, just fixing 60 mins plasterboard below is not acceptable, you need to consider the floor above.

Check out  gn_92_lf_format.pdf (london-fire.gov.uk) 

• 4 months later...

Single 12.5mm plasterboard with a plaster skim used to be the standard for 30 minutes fire resistance a long time ago but the current manufacturers guidance based on testing is that you now need to use 2 x 12.5mm.

However there are different material combinations for different situations, the British Gypsum White Book (https://www.british-gypsum.com/specification/white-book-specification-selector/white-book-overview) is a useful reference.

You should contact your Building Control department as they will have a minimum spec they will accept.

• 1 month later...

Hi. I found this thread really interesting so thanks for all the info. But I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on my own current situation. 

last year we bought a ground floor flat in a 1850s building that was renovated to the current 5 flats in the 60s. The two ground flats are owned under leasehold and the above 3 flats are owned and rented out by the person who owns the freehold. Since we have moved in we have been suspicious about the level of insulation of any kind between the floors. Can hear all the movement and even the gent up stairs snoring in the dining room! 

recently the management company has instructed a fire risk assessment and it’s highlights some issues. Chiefly that the eves is a uncompartmented zone between the three top flats. Speaking with the assessor he mention that it wasn’t an intrusive assessment but suspected that there is little between the floor for fire protection. Given that the property where renovated in the 60s is there any regulations that now apply to ensure adequate protection? My sons room is directly below the up stairs kitchen so a little concerned! 

i have asked for evidence from the management company of fire proofing between the floors but I am not sure where we would stand on this if there’s nothing. 

cheers,

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Victorian terrace

I live in a 1900 building that was converted into flats in the 50's. The loft space is open, and not seperated by flats. Do they HAVE to be seperated in the loftspace. If so, what is the least intrusive, most economical way of doing it. Thankyou very much.

Guest Keith H

i have a an ex 15mm lath aand plaster ceiling with a 350mm void then have a suspended ceiling with metal framing 

and the 1 layer of 15mm thk Fireline plasterboard and then skim coat will this achieve 60 mins Fire Protection

On 10/06/2022 at 00:09, Guest Victorian terrace said:

I live in a 1900 building that was converted into flats in the 50's. The loft space is open, and not seperated by flats. Do they HAVE to be seperated in the loftspace. If so, what is the least intrusive, most economical way of doing it. Thankyou very much.

Sheet based fire barriers & wire reinforced mineral wool barriers are sometimes easier to fit than blockwork or stud and plasterboard. Yes an open cavity is a significant risk and has been involved in fatality and high loss fires.

• 3 months later...

What are the regulations in regards to ceilings not been tape and jointed. Landlord has had a ceiling installed below the existing ceiling but is only going to paint it. It's a converted house so above is another flat ? 

• 8 months later...
Guest Loft small flats safety

I live in a small block of flats owned by a housing association. The block comprises of four flats, two flats upstairs and two flats on the ground level, there is also a communal stairs and passageway.

My question is that it appears that there is no fire insulation or wall divide in the loft between the top two flats. Is there a legal requirement to have a fire break  etween adjoing flats.....It can also. E a security risk.

• 6 months later...
Guest Helen

Hi all! 

This thread is great and I was wondering if anyone could point me to the regulations that apply to my situation. 

I live in a 3-bed link-detached house and I'm looking to convert it to flats. The house was built in circa 1991. I want to know whether I need to fit fire and noise insulation between the floor and ceiling, and also what the minimum flat sizes would need to be. does anyone have this information? 

I presume I would need to install fire proofing for the stud walls separating off the bottom property, and for the stud wall separating the top property, and also fire doors for each flat. Is there anything else I need to consider? 

Thank you in advance! 

Helen