crl

Fire insulation for flats?

I live in a small block of flats owned by a housing association. The block comprises of four flats, two flats upstairs and two flats on the ground level, there is also a communal stairs and passageway.

My question is that it appears that there is no fire insulation between the ground floor flats and the upstairs flats, just wooden floorboards with a small cavity between for pipes etc. Is there a legal requirement to have some form of fire insulation between different levels?

Timber joists with floor boards on the top and a plastered ceiling below could achieve 30/60 minutes fire resistance depending on the materials used which should be sufficient to escape from a fire.

I have had conflicting updates of my concern from the Fire Services.

One officer said that if there are no concrete floors a double layer of plaster board is then required on the ceilings and butted and skimmed.  Another officer stated that the only areas that come that come under the remit of the Fire Safety Order are the common areas and there are no regulations for the apartments themselves.  This I believe is so wrong especially in a complex with elderly aged tenants.

Please could you clarify which officer is correct?

Assuming your flats are purpose built flats and meet the standards of Approved Document B (fire Safety) volume 2: Premises other than Dwelling Houses then there will be 30 minutes separation between the first floor flats and the ground floor flats. One layer skimmed will give you 30 mins and two layers skimmed will give you 60 mins but as the first floor is less than 5 metres above the ground floor it only requires 30 mins. The whole building including the flats are subject to the Housing Act and the Building Regulations but the commons areas are subject to the The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005

Guest Kevin

Hi Tim I live in a block of flats 5 floors which has a roof void.There appears to be  only floorboards and what appears to be standard insulation not well laid on the floor.Should this be raised as a concern and what would give the floor the fire resistance in the loft if it cant be completed at the block of flats ceiling?

The combination of the ceiling below and the floor above, various fire resistant standards can be achieved, starting with 30 minutes which is likely to be what is required in your situation. The insulation is for heat retention and is likely to be fibreglass which is fire retardant. Always worth checking with the Responsible Person.

Guest Chris Cas

Buying lower ground flat what fire protection does it need ? it has no record of building regulations carried out when staircase to the 3 story house above was removed 

Does your front door lead direct to outside and how do the people upstairs get to their accommodation if the staircase has been removed?

Guest Guest Craig

Interesting topic, we're currently developing a converted apartment that was converted in 1985. As it has an ornate ceiling it has some form of fire protection sprayed in-between the ornate ceiling and the floor above.

We've had to take down a section on double boarded ceiling and are planning on doing the same again-double boarding with 12mm plasterboard, taped and skimmed with some sound insulation wool above that.  The apartment is ground floor (with two stories above) with it's own front door leading to outside.

Guest Craig

Sorry Tom, possibly didn't word that correctly. My main concern is that it is "fire safe" and how the was achieved in the 80s when it was converted. There is a section that appears to have zero fire protection, this is the part I'm building  bulkhead over and double boarding/skimming with plaster to give fire protection.

Ideally the design would have a kitchen extractor fan built into this bulk head but as the extractor fan unit (something like this https://elica.com/GB-en/hoods/ceiling/illusion ) doesn't provide any fire resistance it wouldn't pass.

Building Control offered a simple no when approached.