Fire doors banging shut

Guest Kath

Hello there,

I am currently living in a block of flats with fire doors, and they all bang shut - loudly. None of them have a spring mechanism, whereas other dwellings I have lived in have done. I have repeatedly asked neighbours to mind them, but not all of them do and it has become such a nuisance I am considering moving elsewhere.

Can you please tell me, what can be done and is it worth my addressing this issue with the company who maintain the building?

Regards,

Hi Kath

You might be able to

a) adjust power size

b) change closing speed

on the fire door closers to reduce the banging.

If that is not possible, there are fire door closers with a feature called 'latching action', which closes the door quickly at first but stops it slamming by closing the last few inches slowly.

Harry

Hi,

I live next door to a house full of students. It has three floors and about 17 fire doors in it. All of these fire doors slam very loudly some more than others. I want to persuade or force the landlord of this house to fit proper door closers so that the fire doors close quietly. My question is, are there regulations that say fire doors must close quietly. Also if I can persuade him to put proper door closers on are there regulations about the door latches that might prevent him from using a gentle motion to allow the door to close quietly. That is, the door has to slam in order to overcome the latch.

Thanks,

David.

There is no regulations that requires fire doors to close quietly but if they do slam shut it would eventually damage the door which would have to be replaced. I am not aware of anything you can do other than persuade the landlord to consider the problem and see what he/she can do.

• 5 years later...

What is regulation speed to close fire door on automatic closers k

On 14/10/2015 at 14:51, Tom Sutton said:

There is no regulations that requires fire doors to close quietly but if they do slam shut it would eventually damage the door which would have to be replaced. I am not aware of anything you can do other than persuade the landlord to consider the problem and see what he/she can do.

surely health and safety have a bearing on this if it’s disturbing sleep during the night with some people using the doir constantly 

The requirements are that:

The fire door must self-close completely and reliably to the door frame rebate stop.  The maximum delay for self-closing, according to EN1154, is 25 seconds.

Information at http://firecode.org.uk/Code of Practice 2009 Issue 3.pdf

If a fire door is banging shut, this matter should be reported so that a competent maintenance operative can adjust or replace the self-closing device. It could be that the self-closing-device has lost fluid or that adjustment of the controls is required. 

I live  in a flat situated right over a reception area. Everything was OK till recently.  A fire maintenance company ironically called 'Harmony' visited to reset the fire door-closers. There are 3 fire doors altogether. They all used to close quickly and perfectly.  Now they all slam shut.  Thanks Harmony.  The doors bang frequently throughout the day and night and intermittently throughout the early hours of the morning.   Worst of all the social housing landlord refuses to get them tweaked so they don't slam.   Devoid of empathy, they don't give a monkeys about my wellbeing. 

If they were fire doors, then slamming shut would eventually damage the door, which would render them useless and outside pressure could be applied getting them sorted out however as these will most likely not be fire doors, being entrance doors then I am afraid  it is up o the landlord to sort out, keep at them.

• 3 months later...

I live in a semi detached house. The house next to us has been converted in to student property with fire doors which is slam shut all the time.

when i  reported the issue they said they fitted the door according to the regulations. is there any suggestions like install soft closure etc  i can ask the landlords to install? please its really unbearable 

Thanks

Self-closing fire doors should not bang shut or indeed bang-open.  They are adjustable (some more than others depending on the quality of the self-closing device) for speed, latching action and back-check. See Section 3 of the Code of practice: Hardware for Fire and Escape Doors  http://firecode.org.uk/Code_of_Practice_hardware_for_fire_and_escape_doors.pdf

• 6 months later...
Guest Endeavour Morse Prowse

Hello My name is Endeavour 

I am in a communal House with rooms in and we have a front door which is a fire door and it slams all the time and the other doors to the flats its self are the same they slam the neighbours are always slamming the fire doors and i am very senstive too noise and it has got to a stage where it is making my life a misery i have anxiety and depression and i am in the process of looking for somewhere else to go because life is unbearable here and i have just had a breavement and i can't be doing with al this noise.

i can't speak to the neighbours to the noise level down i was woken up by the front door banging or it was the flat door in there room.

but i was not very happy it was about 5am this morning.

i have had enough i don't know what to do about it if it is not the front door in is the door into their flat.

Please please help me

Thanks