Gap underneath fire door

Guest AartiSe

Guest AartiSe

I have a general enquiry which I was hoping someone may be able to advise on. My property management company has recently installed fire doors and I am concerned that they do not conform to regulations in that the door opens inwards over carpet and obviously has to be able to slide closed. However, as soon as the door is closed the other side of the threshold which does not have a thick carpet means there is a 1-2 inch gap at the bottom of the fire door. The surveyor's excuse is that it is because my carpet is too thick but as the carpet was already in place, I do not know what needs to be done to ensure that the gap is reduced (As I understand it, there should not be more than a 3mm gap at the bottom). I would be really grateful if someone could advise me what is the best thing to be done.

The 3mm gaps applies to the jambs and the head of the door, the threshold gap depends if the door is required to control cold smoke. (FDs) I would think the best solution, if the door needs to control the cold smoke, would be to fit a piece of hard wood 12mm X depth of the door X width of the door, to the floor immediately below the door, or allow the carpet to extend to the front edge of the door, using a bullnose edging piece?

• 10 months later...

I have recently purchased a new apartment and am a bit concerned about the gaps at the bottom of the fire doors in the communal corridors and entrances to dwellings ( 30mm corridors and 14 mm to dwellings) is there a legal requirement for the maximum lower gap, if so could you please let me know where I can obtain the information please

BS 8214:2008 Code of practice for fire door assemblies states Under-door (threshold) gaps should be in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions for the particular doorset design. When fitted, smoke seals should give an even contact with the floor but should not exhibit significant increased frictional forces that could interfere with the closing action of the door.

The threshold gaps you refer to appear to be excessive and as the doors are most probable FD30s doors then threshold cold smoke seals should be fitted.

Check out http://www.safelincs.co.uk/blog/2013/08/09/gaps-underneath-fire-doors/.

• 5 months later...

hi tom

ive just read your work on gaps underneath fire doors can I ask if the doors have been on years gaps varying from 15mm to 30mm

should these be changed as the doors have been painted lots of  times so no identification stickers side and top gaps of 5 mm

can you give me advice please regards battz

• 3 years later...

Where possible, loosen the frame fixings to the wall and pack behind the door frame with timber folding wedges. Re-fix the door frame when the correct gaps have been achieved.  Clearly, it will be necessary to make good the fire-stopping between the frame and wall.

When carrying out these works refer to 'BS 8214:2016 Timber-based fire door assemblies Code of practice' and (where available) the product data sheet/installation instructions for the fire door leaf.

• 1 month later...
Guest Barbara

Hello, I live in a block of flats (2/3 storey).  Our communal hallways were fitted with self closing fire doors.  There is a gap of approximately 5mm at the bottom of the door (no seal).  Also, the door opens inwards (when standing in the area between the flat and the rest of the hallway) and is lockable (from both sides), should it open outwards and have no lock? Thank you.

Regards,

B

Is the door a FD30s fire door and is it required for compartmentation? Opening inwards is acceptable if less than 60 persons use it. It would appear that the lock is irrelevant if the door is use 24/7 but it is not illegal proving it is never locked if required for use.