How long should it take for fire door to close?

Guest GPenn

Guest GPenn

Dear Sir or Madam, i carry out maintenance in a care home. How long should it take for a fire door to shut from fully open i.e. 90 deg open?

Kind regards,

Gordon

As I have said it is not easy to interpret but it appears, assuming it is not a delayed door closer, the total closing and latching time should range from three to seven seconds. If it is a delayed closing device then the total closing and latching time should range from 20 seconds to 30 seconds.

• 1 year later...

A normal closer operates as the door is opened and closes it immediately the door is released. A delayed closing device allows the door to close when activated by a third party device like the fire alarm.

https://www.ifsecglobal.com/hold-open-door-closers-devices-uses-limitations/

Guest Bradley Pallister
20 hours ago, Tom Sutton said:

A normal closer operates as the door is opened and closes it immediately the door is released. A delayed closing device allows the door to close when activated by a third party device like the fire alarm.

https://www.ifsecglobal.com/hold-open-door-closers-devices-uses-limitations/

Tom

We are talking about three different types of closer here.

• 'Normal' closer - as you say, closes the door as soon as it is released.
  • Delayed-action closer - this is a specific type of closer that has a function that is normally adjustable to give a delay from a few seconds to up to several minutes.  It is not activated by any third party devices.
  • A closer that is activated by a third party device can be a normal closer.  It is normally installed in conjunction with an electromag 'hold-open' device, which is basically a electromagnet on the wall which keeps the door in the open position.  If the fire alarm is activated, the electromagnet releases, and the closer starts operating as normal and closes the door.  

Hope this helps

• 4 years later...
Guest Cat lady

Hi. My son lives in a new-build block of flats, on the 2nd floor. There is a fire door when you reach the top of the stairs, which you go through to access the two flats. This has a closer, and the door pushes open easily but then shuts quickly, with a bang - not good when coming home late at night!  Should this door closely quickly, then shut slowly at the last minute?

also, his front door (a fire door) shuts REALLY REALLY slowly and then shut with a bang at the last minute. It is VERY hard to push the door shut once yr in the flat, and even harder to pull it closed when you leave the flat

Both these seem highly odd to me ……..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Frustrated Ed

re above issue 

I’ve had this problem in sheltered housing flat for a long long time  3yrs

the exit/entrance to rear off building are two fire doors  one on corridor the other opposit is exterior door Constant banging when each door is opened and closed.

I’ve requested numerous times to have them adjusted  one closer was taken off door . Door reversed but it’s still the same . 
My question is .
Is this main back door to the building has a bar on it too push open from inside  snd has a turn lock so when closed to lock the door then turn the knob which locks door . 
problem is some residents turn knob so that they can come back in without using a key surely this is a risk . 
but it is not and can not be monitored 24/7 .

is this in line with Regulations. 
thier are other doors into the building but this door is in daily constant use 

what if anything can be done to elevate the issue . I suggested a Closer which can hold inner door open and release on fire alarm going off  which you can purchase but been informed this is not within Guidelines for Fire regulations