How much space in front of a fire exit

Guest Sandra Tingley

Guest Guest2021

The business next door has a door that they call a fire exit but it is in front of a parking space none of the parking spaces are assigned and they started leaving notes on my vehicle to move it because it’s blocking the space even tho the door can fully open with no issues and there is plenary of space between the door and my car for people to leave through everyday 

• 3 weeks later...

we have a skip for building waste on our site, its sat in an alleyway that is a fire exit route for a restaurant, how much room do I need to have around the skip to be complaint with fire exit rules.

Hi Tom

We keep having cars park up to our fire exit door, it is clearly signed but a continual problem, the landlord has sent out letters, but the drivers boss informed us there is nothing he (the Landlord) or ourselves can do about it. Is this correct? And any advice would be greatful. Thanks 

• 2 months later...
Guest Car impinging fire exit?

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your posts, they are extremely informative.

I rent an office above a high street shop and there is only one entrance and exit on the ground floor up to my room. Unfortunately, people park directly outside the door on the ground floor, making it difficult for me to enter and exit at times. 

I have asked them not to park there politely, but they say it’s not my space and I cannot stop them.

I can have 10+ clients in my office at the same time, and if there was ever a fire I honestly don’t think we would all make it out.

What are you thoughts please?

Thanks ever so much.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest Keith

Hi, my workplace has recently put a whole workstation, sitting 6 people around 1mtr from the fire exit, causing obstacles to those who would use the exit in emergency, is this legal and if not, what space from the fire exit would the workstation have to be to be legal?

• 3 months later...
Guest John backfield Manchester

Hello, our fire exit leads into an alleyway. A business has now built a wooden structure in the alley 4 metres away from our fire exit door meaning there is no way around or past (it’s decking with temp roof). Are there any legal requirements/is this illegal? Thank you 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest Iont Cioroaba

Hi Guys, we are having some limited space in front of our premises and we would like to park a car in front of the entrance door that is used as a fire exit too. We are having aprox 550mm space between cars so people can travel in the safe assembly point and fire exit door can easily be opened full swing 180degree, so people can pass between the cars. In the manufacturing premisses are we have all the time 6-12 people in a total space of 580sqm split on 2 levels, also we do have an additional fire exit at the back.

Parking there car in the front of this fire exit door is considered obstruction? Is it illegal? The car park is one of our staff. Thanks!