How much space in front of a fire exit

Guest Sandra Tingley

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

We have just had a new machine installed in the factory which runs in front if the fire escape is this allowed

It would mean to escape people would need to go around the back of the machine to escape

Your question does not give sufficient information to be able to give a definitive reply. It depends if the machine excessively restricts the access to the fire exit and is there an acceptable escape route available to the fire door? The width of the fire door would dictate the width of the escape route required.

• 3 years later...

Hi, 

I was wondering if you could indicate any guidance or Regulations on whether there ought to be considerations of fire exits, which open outwards, onto busy public footpaths? I have a general concern in relation to the door opening suddenly and potentially injuring a pedestrian? Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hello ronnie

Hi. My bedroom window is facing a parking lot which park's trucks in front of the fire escape ladder.God forbid there's a fire ,the ladder wouldn't be able to drop. What should I do?

Do you or your landlord own this land, if not you should have an legal agreement with the owners which should detail the do and don'ts. If you do own the land you should make arrangements the prevent parking in that particular area or conduct a FRA to see if an alternative means of escape can be arranged.

• 2 months later...

I am not aware of any, but the barrier would have to be a reasonable height and sturdy, also not reduce the width of the means of escape so the distance from the door would have to be equivalent at least to the width of the door, a little wider would be better. You see lots of barriers on the high street usually at pedestrian crossing you could use them as a guide.

• 1 month later...
Guest Billy Lindsay

Hi Tom 

I have currently planned walk ways round my factory my question is do you need to have the walk ways leading to all fire exits? I have 16 people on the factory floor and 5 fire exits?

You do not provide sufficient information you would need to know the means of escape scheme, travel distances and much more. What does your fire risk assessment or fire strategy document say. I would suggest you employ the services of a fire risk assessor who could advise you what you require.

• 6 months later...
Guest Flexable0013

Hello, my work brings me to the airport alot. The small local airport has placed freestanding signs in front of all the main doors/exit doors of the building. Ive notice people walking in bumping into the sign or even knocking them over to walk around them. The sign is about 3 foot tall by 2 foot wide. 

Would this be considered a obstruction/clutter of a emergency exit?

Is their a distance on how far away a business can place this kind of sign/objects in front of a exit door?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest Guest Luke

Hello, I wonder if you can help

I run a shop , and looking to use a outside area hat we haven't used before by putting a new door in to lead from the show room out to this area

-  but this outside area is closed in, like a courtyard the only way in and out to it would be through the show room - would this be allowed?

so in case of fire / emergency the customers would need to go through part of the shop to the fire escape, the fire exit from the new door would be 7m approx away

sorry If I have not described this well, but would really appreciate your advise

Many thanks

Luke

It all depends on the layout if you could get a 30 minute fire resistant separation between the route into the yard and out of the yard it could be acceptable otherwise you would need a separate way out the yard. 

• 2 months later...
Guest Christian Johnson

Hello Tom,

I am planning on having a loft bed in front of my window with the desk. I was wondering how much space needs to be let for firefighters if we were to have a fire. It would end up being like 30 inches is that plenty of room?

Thanks

There is no need to concern yourself about firemen if they have to enter via a window a piece of furniture not going to stop them anyway it is unlikely they would use a windows to enter. More of a problem if the window is an escape window as you would have to provide access to it.