monthly visual inspections service

Guest ljh896

I'm coming across a lot of customers who are totally unaware of their responsibilities regarding monthly visual inspections even when they have been supplied with extinguishers for many years.

Is there any legal issues with offering an additional service whereby for a small fee I go along each month to their premises and undertake the visuals for them ?

As well as being an additional revenue stream its a way of keeping in touch and building up a rapport with them.

any comments greatly appreciated

thanks

I was very suprised too,

I only suggested it to one customer as i'd gone back to their premises to replace some units that were discharged and found that the log book hadnt been signed since i first fiited them several months earlier.

To my amazment they said good idea, you do it for me !

I give FOC training/advice to customers anyway making them aware of their reposibilities etc

• 2 years later...

Point out it is there responsibility, that it's best practice (unlikely to get enforced against for not doing it) offer to train them, if they insist on paying for you to do it then it's an informed decision on their part which is fair - it's if they are led to believe they MUST have you do it that it would be inappropriate.

• 2 years later...

Good Day All

I have one questions,

1)How often dry chemical type or multi-purpose type extinguishers should be turned upside down and shaken to loosen the powder ?Do you have any national regulations regarding inspection? 

2)Do you think that during turning extinguisher upside down it is possible to damage the spine due to weight and quantity to be check of extinguishers?

In the UK generally never, this practice dates back to cartridge extinguishers where compaction was more common. Stored pressure powders keep the powder in a fluidised state so there is generally little compaction although it's not unheard of.

There would be manual handling issues with turning larger extinguishers (9kg+) upside down and care would need to be taken.