Can we have a door closer on fire exit door?

Guest SarahDa

You need to clarify what you mean by fire escape door, is it the final escape door to the outside of you premises or is it a fire resistant door. (FD/FDs)

If it is a final escape door then there is no reason why you cannot fit a self closer. If it is a FD/FDs door then it has to have an authorised self closer fitted check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/fire-door-fitting-and-ironmongery/ for more information.

• 1 month later...

As the window is to let light through I would imagine we are discussing a FINAL fire exit door leading to outside the premises and I am assuming the door is not fire resistant therefore the glass panel does not need to be fire resistant. There could be a situation were the glass panel needs to be fire resistant but there is no reason why you cannot provide a glass panel in that door.

A point to consider is security and glass panels are easy to break though by an intruders.

• 1 year later...
Guest JohnHolm

Can final exit doors have self closing mechanisms fitted to keep the door closed. Some final exits are a normal exit route out of the building. If they can do they have to be fire rated

All final exit doors are an exit routes out of the building and do not need to be fire rated but there are exceptions, protecting an external fire escape for instance. You can fit a self closer providing the door is easily openable from the inside.

Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/fire-door-fitting-and-ironmongery/

• 7 months later...

Hi, My hotel was 'broken into' last week because one of my guests had left the fire door open (they often do). I would like to fit a door closer to the door so that it remains secure. Am I allowed to fit a door closer to a fire escape door?

Thanks,

Jon

A door closer is not normally required on final exit doors but in your case I can see why you need one and providing it does not interfere with with the use of the final exit, then I cannot see any reasons why you shouldn't fit one.

• 5 months later...
Guest Fire exit closing device needed

I am looking for advice about external fire doors of my tennis club which are currently fitted with push-bars for ease of escape. The doors a primarily an exit route rather than containment. Due to recent security problems we are looking at allowing fob access through these doors to access the toilets when otherwise the club would be shut. However, we are concerned that the doors could be left open carelessly. Is there any kind of device which could effect self-closing of such doors but which would not affect the ease with which people could escape from the building in an emergency?

The simple answer is to fit a standard self closer which is not going to prevent people escaping in the event of a fire, see attached image, but I do not know if it can be opened from outside, with self locking, unless you dispense with the second and third point of locking? You could also consider a magnetic lock with the door fitted with a self closer.

Check out http://www.safelincs.co.uk/briton-571-touch-bar-panic-device/ 

fire%20exit%20door%20with%20SC.jpg 

Edited by Tom Sutton

• 6 months later...
Guest v.cafaro@tiscali.co.uk

Hello just rented a flat with a fire door off the kitchen on to a fire escape only to find that the glass is split in half and the bottom of the door is being held with masking tape what do you advise 

Is this an external fire escape or an internal fire escape? If it is an internal fire escape then it most probably a FD30 door and would need to be repaired to a full half hour standard. If it is an external fire escape then it would depend at what level it leads onto the external fire escape, if it is the top level it may not need to be a FD30 door, if any of the other levels it most probably would and in any case it would need repairing for security if nothing else.

• 2 years later...
Guest Linda

A fire arm closure has been removed from the top of  an internal fire door at my sports club, and replaced with a sound triggered door guard is this  breaching fire safety regulations ?

When the door guard is triggered the door doesn't fully close.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

We had four fire exit doors, two external and two internal.

One of the internal fire exit doors has been taken off the alarm system and is considered a fire door.

My query is, does it require a self closing mechanism, as I know fire doors have to be kept shut.

At the moment this "fire door" doesnt shut by itself.

Thanks

Jake

On 18/06/2019 at 22:52, AnthonyB said:

If it is a door to the outside it doesn't automatically need one, if it's between two internal areas it is more likely to need one - generally of part of a protected route or a compartment wall

Its an internal one yeah, it still has a push bar. 

Do you think it should be replaced with a proper fire door?

• 1 year later...
Guest Helen

Hi we are in the process of purchasing a freehold flat with a UPVC kitchen door leading to the external fire escape. We are level 1 of 3 storeys. Is this legal? Many thanks 

• 2 months later...

Due to covid i need to get fresh air into a large room which has no windows.jave 4 final exit doors. Can i keep these open ?

Or could i put adjustable vents in them to provide a fresh airflow