Jump to content

Can carers lock in my brother in case of a fire?

Guest Keith

Recommended Posts

Hello there, this is for some advice I would like you to clarify to me if you can in regards to my brother who lives in a council house with his carer.

His carer works for a well known company and has a regular risk assessment about various concerns within the house,but what has startled me in reading his assessment into fire procedures is this " if my brother refused to move, even when encouraged to do so, all doors will be closed and he will be kept as safe as possible until the fire services arrive, at that point they will inform them of my brothers whereabouts". This is what has been rote, this can't be legal, what about smoke inhalation. I would be grateful for some legalities here thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just my opinion.

If your brother does not want to move if there is a fire, what do you expect his carer to do about it? No, really, what do you expect one carer to actually do? One carer on their own can not lift anyone. If the carer stays in the room and is overcome by smoke, how will the fire brigade know there is some one in the building, if your brother wants to stay put, then the carer can go out and inform the fire brigade he is in the building and where he is.

You don't mention in what you say has been written about the doors being locked, but to a point I agree. It will stop your brother from moving from where he is, so the fire brigade will not have to search for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In a way this is the 'stay-put' policy with an extra twist (lock-in). The 'stay-put' policy of encouraging people to stay in their flats etc is sometimes used where more problems than help are expected from mass evacuation. A pre-condition is, of course, that the flat is sufficiently sealed against smoke, has sufficient fire resistance and can be accessed by the brigade.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

As green-foam has said, in such a situation "what do you expect his carer to do about it" but for peace of mind you could get the local fire and rescue service to conduct a fire risk check, most do carry them out. Check out http://www.firesafe.org.uk/uk-fire-rescue-services-details/ which will give you the details of your local FRS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...