Height of break glass

Guest KarolB

According to the British standard, Manual call points should be fixed at a height of 1.4 m above finished floor level, at easily accessible, well-illuminated and conspicuous positions free from potential obstruction. They should be sited against a contrasting background to assist in easy recognition. A lower mounting height is acceptable in circumstances where there is a high likelihood that the first person to raise an alarm of fire will be a wheelchair user. Consequentially I would consider a similar rule for green break glass override boxes.

Could you please advice on the mounting height of the green break glass override device.

Sorry to disagree Tom, but I would say any height you like / find easy. (I say this because as the the OP said, "override device" it's not for a fire alarm, but to over ride an access control system. So is NOT covered by the fire regulations)

In light of green-foam's submission I did further research and found green break glass override boxes are subject to BS 7272 part 4 2007 and 12.2.4 states that the height should be 1.2 m from the floor level and be within 2 m of the associated door. There are other conditions but you need to check the British standard for the full details.

Sorry for my previous submissions.

• 6 months later...
Guest david pooley

we think we may have to move a break glass unit from a new meeting room that we are forming inside a larger office for which it functioned. there is also another bgu located in a lobby within 3 to 4 metres of this bgu. would we have to move the bgu from its current location to a corresponding new location in the new offce i.e. the remianing office area outside of the new meeting room ? many thanks. david pooley

Without seeing the location of all the Manual call points I cannot comment on your particular situation but siting of Manual Call Points should be as follows.

Break Glass Call Points should be mounted 1.4 m from the floor, sited where they can be easily seen and on exit route from the building. BGU's should be sited on the floor landings of stairways and at exits to open air. It should be noted that many Fire Officers prefer BGU's to be fitted on the floor side of an access door to a staircase so the floor of origin is indicated at the Control Panel. Where necessary, extra points should be sited so that the greatest travel distance from any point in the building to the nearest call point does not exceed 30 m. A greater number of Call Points may be needed in high risk areas or if the occupants are likely to be slow in movement.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Richard

Hi

If an already existing call point has been fitted to close to a wooden dado rail and is unable to be tested could I just it 180 degrees so that the test key can be inserted from the top?

As you would be fitting the call point upside down I would contact the manufacturer to check that it would work correctly in that position and as a result any wording on the face of the call point would also be upside down, therefore you then need to ask your self could this cause confusion for any person who had to use the call point.

Have you considered modifying the dado rail to enable the test key to be used satisfactorily or relocating the call point a few cm higher.

• 7 months later...

Hello All,

I am currently conducting a project and am trying to find information on the height of fire emergency door release button/break glass button.  I was wondering if there was any guidance around the height of the button in Special Schools or Mental Hospitals. 

I work in a special school and the fire alarm is pressed quite often and I was wondering if we could make them higher or if it would be worth looking at other ways to cover them.  We currently have then cover with a plastic lift up cover.

Thank you for any help in advance, the internet isn't being helpful.

Alison

• 2 weeks later...