Minimum extinguisher size for vehicle

Guest Rays

Hi,
Can you advise what the minimum weight that is required for extinguishers going to be installed in company maintenance vehicles. They are likely to be used only in the event of an emergency. I have been told it is 1kg, but I am unable to find where that is stated.
Regards,
Ray.

The HSE talking about ADR say, IF a transport unit is not carrying dangerous goods in accordance with ADR 1.1.3.6, it has to be equipped with at least one portable fire extinguisher for the inflammability classes* A, B and C, with a minimum capacity of 2kg dry powder (or an equivalent capacity for any other suitable extinguishing agent) suitable for fighting a fire in the engine or cab of the transport unit [ADR 8.1.4.1(a)] http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/pdf/fire-ex.pdf

ACT a fire safety company say, Vehicle A 1kg or 2 Kg powder extinguisher should always be situated near the front seats. http://www.actfire.co.uk/general/fire_extinguisher_advice.php

I think I would go for the HSE advice even if ADR doesn't apply.

For vehicles carrying dangerous goods, the following ADR rules aply (ADR 8.1.4.1). Weights listed below are usually powder extinguisher weights, but it is possible to substitute powder with other extinguishing media.

Vehicle <3.5 tonnes: 2 Extinguishers min, min total weight 4kg, minimum size of each extinguisher 2kg

Vehicle >3.5 tonnes: 2 Extinguishers min, min total weight 8kg, one extinguisher has to be at least 6kg

Vehicle >7.5 tonnes: 2 Extinguishers min, min total weight 12kg, one extinguisher has to be at least 6kg

For any other business vehicles, I agree with Tom that 2kg are required.

Harry

• 1 month later...
Guest steve Jo

we run housing repair buisness are vans are transist and they are how we get to the sites to carry out repairs.we carry standard materials such as paint glues small items of plastic, wood plumbing items etc etc do we have to supply fire extinguishers to these vehicles

Taxis and PHVs (private hire vehicles or minicabs) are required by law to carry first aid kits and vehicle fire extinguishers. The type and capacity of the vehicle fire extinguisher varies with the local licensing authority. Please consult the appropriate regulations for your vehicle type. If a vehicle is capable of carrying nine or more passengers it is classed as a PSV (passenger service vehicle) and requires a 2l AFFF vehicle fire extinguisher. It is mandatory for PHVs to carry vehicle fire extinguishers.

Commercial vehicles used in the carriage of dangerous goods (CDG) require ABC-type vehicle fire extinguishers, the capacity of which varies according to the load of the vehicle. Check out ADR http://www.hse.gov.uk/cdg/pdf/fire-ex.pdf .

In your situation you are not required to carry fire extinguisher by law but I would advise you carry a 2 Kg dry powder extinguisher because the result of a fire could be serious for you and your company.

• 4 years later...

Hi TPH

Section 48 (2) of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 allows a Local Authority to impose conditions that it ‘considers reasonably necessary’ in respect of private hire vehicles.

As Tom said the type and capacity of the vehicle fire extinguisher varies with the local licensing authority.

You should contact your Local Authority for a clear picture of their requirements.

Thanks Shawn... but Tom Sutton says "Taxis and PHVs (private hire vehicles or minicabs) are required by law to carry first aid kits and vehicle fire extinguishers".  The section you have quoted as being able to impose conditions.

What is the actual law that imposes it?  Otherwise, 'considers reasonably necessary' is not required by law

I understand that sect 48 (1) (a) (iv) says the vehicle must be safe or could use 48 (2) and I believe the licensing committee of the local district council  interpret that, in their licensing conditions, that it must carry a fire extinguisher, so check your local licensing committee, because each one is different, .

The type of extinguisher required varies widely - some require 1l foam, others 600g Powder, 1kg powder, etc, etc. You need to check with the local council. If the licensing board require an extinguisher as a condition of license then it is in effect a legal requirement........if you want to be able to operate with a license...

The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 is a law (anything called an 'Act' is law) and the section stat states the the local council can impose conditions that it ‘considers reasonably necessary’ in respect of private hire vehicles makes whatever they deem reasonably necessary part of that law i believe.

So as mentioned previously, you need to check with your Local Authority.

• 2 months later...
Guest Mark James

Does the HSE not say different?

IF a transport unit is not carrying dangerous goods in accordance with ADR 1.1.3.6, it has to be equipped with at least one portable fire extinguisher for the inflammability classes* A, B and C, with a minimum capacity of 2kg dry powder (or an equivalent capacity for any other suitable extinguishing agent) suitable for fighting a fire in the engine or cab of the transport unit [ADR 8.1.4.1(a)]

That to my interpretation relates to transport units that are used to carry ADR goods but are unloaded  - it only needs it's 2kg cab extinguisher & wouldn't be in breach of the regs if it didn't have it's load extinguishers, not to require every single van in the country to have an extinguisher.

If ADR doesn't apply to a vehicle in any way (as oppose to a small load exemption) then the extinguisher requirement doesn't either.

One of the reasons many of the big parcel companies refuse to take dangerous goods is so they don't have to bother with the ADR requirements.

They require an extended service at 5 years and most manufacturer's warranties (where they exist) usually expire at this point too. With powder extinguishers, especially small ones it's often cheaper to simply replace.

If they haven't ever been annual serviced even better to replace.

• 2 years later...

It doesn't sound like you will be coming under the statutory ADR regime unless you are carrying hazardous goods so you wont be required to carry an extinguisher.

You might still consider it wise to have an extinguisher in any case in the cab - usually 2kg is advisable (anything smaller will be of little use) with Powder being most commonly used.