Fire Door inspections

Guest Starks1769

Guest Starks1769

Hi all.

At work we have 9 Buildings across the whole of the UK in them we have circa 800 firedoors (healthcare facilities).  Fire doors have been neglected somewhat, so here's the quandary. 

We need them inspected regularly and I know we are looking at a big remediation bill after the first round. My thinking is I employ an independent FD inspector (FDIS and or NAFDI) but one who doesn't do repairs. From this I can tender the remedial to a company that offers 3rd party certification, then do the works. 

Questions

Does this seem sensible, especially the independent (non repairing) approach  

FDIS or NAFDI

Are all 3rd party warranties the same (broadly) 

Thanks in advance, all thoughts gratefully received.  

• Rahel Lock changed the title to Fire Door inspections

Independence from remedial works is always useful from experience as is using a firm whose inspectors have done more than a 1 day 'zero to hero' inspection course where everything is either pass/fail and requiring new doors and frames for any defect....

These people or anyone who has done their (far longer and more comprehensive) training is worth trying as you will get a true risk based appraisal https://www.firedoorscomplete.com/ 

If you intend to use the fire door inspection report so that contractors can tender for remedial works, its essential that the fire door inspection report contains sufficient information.  Many such contractors report that most fire door inspection reports are insufficient for that purpose and insist on carrying out their own inspection before quoting.

Make sure you see a sample fire door inspection report before procuring the fire door inspector services.

What you have to consider any small items like smoke seals and minor adjustments.  Will these be included in the cost of inspection, or will they be a separate visit by the maintainer?

Once the doors are up to spec, are you going to use the same company for on going maintenance.  There is the benefit that the maintainer can not say in subsequent rounds that the door is now noncompliant or needs lipping if they didn’t say that in the initial inspection.

There are advantages on both sides

Guest Starks1769

Thanks all, thats really helpful. I've identified a few inspectors who I will contact. I agree totally re: report quality as the last 2 I received were no use to anyone at all other than the company who did them.