Lift in protected shaft - existing block of flats

DanHenry

Hello,

I understand that lifts should be in protected shafts. So in a four storey block of existing flats, there is a protected stair and the flats are accessed from a protected corridor. The lift is accessed from the protected corridor, adjacent flat entrances on all levels. I take it this is unacceptable or am I missing something?

Thanks, 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 07/10/2022 at 20:12, Tom Sutton said:

What is the problem if the lift is in a protected shaft?

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delay. So a standard passenger lift can go from protected sleeping corridor on one floor to another protected sleeping corridor on another floor. Surely a fire on on floor could now pass to another floor via the shaft?

I thought lifts had to open into lobbies which would in effect created a protected shaft?

Usually you's see it, but it's not always been the case. Even now fire lifts can open into the corridor as long as they are within 7.5m of the stair door

image.png.a3a767405599e83ce3c6ead78d9cd31b.png

The shaft will generally always be protected in relation to the walls, often being brick & block, the vulnerability being the doors , which whilst some will give 30 minutes fire resistance are poor at stopping smoke. In some buildings in the past it was common to fit a self closing fire door in front of the lift opening to overcome this, particularly with concertina and open lift car doors, but it's less common in flats as they weren't covered by fire safety legislation until 2005

12 hours ago, AnthonyB said:

Usually you's see it, but it's not always been the case. Even now fire lifts can open into the corridor as long as they are within 7.5m of the stair door

image.png.a3a767405599e83ce3c6ead78d9cd31b.png

The shaft will generally always be protected in relation to the walls, often being brick & block, the vulnerability being the doors , which whilst some will give 30 minutes fire resistance are poor at stopping smoke. In some buildings in the past it was common to fit a self closing fire door in front of the lift opening to overcome this, particularly with concertina and open lift car doors, but it's less common in flats as they weren't covered by fire safety legislation until 2005

Thanks for this. 

Seems crazy, as any other shaft penetrating sleeping compartment floors you would expect to see fully protected. 

I visited a large hotel the other day and the lift (non- firefighting) started at reception level and stopped on the sleeping corridors of all upper floors. Adjacent to all the bedrooms, no lobby protection. This is accepted?