Requirement for Fire alarms to be hard wired / interlinked

Guest Tom

Hi Guys, 

can anyone just help with a quick question, i have a house i let out it currently has two battery fire alarms and a carbon monoxide alarm. The tenant said to the estate agent one of the fire alarms was beeping ( assume the battery was flat ) 

It is a sealed unit so you cannot change the battery, the estate agent sent out an electrician who has said i need to have it upgraded to mains / hardwired interlinked system with a heat detector in the kitchen to comply with current regulations 

Is this correct, i cannot see anywhere online where it says this is current law in England ( i understand it is in Scotland / Wales ) ?

Thanks and Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed - chasing work if not in Scotland where the rules are tighter. Mains (grade D1/2) is better but battery (grade F1/2) is legal.

If you need a rewire however it would have to include the new main powered alarms as it's subject to Building Regulations which require mains alarms as a minimum.