maximum gap between fire door and frame

Guest TonyWool

Guest TonyWool

Could you please tell me if there is a maximum gap size between the fire door and frame after which the intumescent seal will not work. I have been told by a carpenter that this is 3 mm.

Thank you

That is the average gap and is documented in British Standard BS 8214:2008 Code of practice for fire door assemblies.

9.5.2 Clearance gaps

Failure of fire-resisting door assemblies under test is very often due to burn-through at the clearance gap between the door leaf edge and the door frame. Doors should be hung to give an equal gap across the head and down both jambs. A typical gap to achieve good fire performance is between 2 mm and 4 mm.

NOTE Guidance on operating gaps for timber doorsets is given in BS 4787-1 and BS 5588-112).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RosalindDav

I recently attending a fire risk and safety management course and was advised to obtain a gap gauge with a mirror fixing to be able to check fire doors. I have not been able to find such a unit and wondered if you might be able to advise where this course be purchased?

Any information would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Roz

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
Guest Gap on lock plate

Hello,How do I solve the gap on frame where the lock plate is my fire door has recently failed because there is a gap between intumesant strip and door latch plate measuring 180mm 

image.jpg

Its OK.  The intumescent strip & smoke seal may be interrupted at lock and hinge fixing points.  If the inspector/assessor disagrees, ask them to provide specific evidence that the seal must be continuous and uninterrupted.