I cut fire safety labels off, do I now need to buy new??

Guest EvaChup

Guest EvaChup

Hi

I am thinking of renting out my property. It was all furnished newly over last 5 years, most of the furniture is from IKEA or ARGOS. However, at the point of purchasing I did not realise the importance of keeping the labels (also IKEA only provides them on request as I understand). Is there any way of having the furnishings in my house tested by someone who is certified to do so and can provide me with a certificate?

It seems a total madness (and rather costly) to be replacing all the furnishing lacking the label.. I would be happy to replace/ get rid of anything that won't meet the standards however, I am sure most of it should be fine.

How can I go about this?

Many thanks,

Eva

Eva which labels are you talking about the display label or the permanent label the display label is only for retailers who are selling the upholstered furniture. The permanent label is securely fixed and should remain with the furniture also should be difficult to remove.

Check out http://www.satra.co.uk/spotlight/article_view.php?id=254 which shows the two types of label.

• 1 year later...
Guest Hannahmu

Hi there, following a recent tv programme highlighting the boom in false fire safety stickers I thought i'd check my just over a year old mattress which was quite cheap and has already bust springs etc.

I have attached a photo where i believe a part of the sticker to be missing or sewn in to the bed, do you agree this is probably faulty. The ebay user has since closed their account so i am not sure what I can do at this point.

Thank you for your time and help,

Hannah

post-257-0-15159600-1389774804_thumb.jpg

I am afraid there is no legal requirement for manufacturers to fix label to mattresses the guidance says,

The fire safety of all mattresses (of any size), divans and bed bases is controlled by both the Regulations and the GPSR. Only the filling material (foam or non-foam) contained in a mattress, upholstered divan or bed base must meet the Regulations. However, the fire safety of the complete product is controlled via the General Product Safety Regulations 2005. The normal route to achieve legal obligations is to have products evaluated against the British Standard best suited to product safety. In this context, a finished mattress and mattress topper, divan or bed base should comply with the low hazard category of BS 7177.

There is no formal scheme for proving compliance with a Standard and a supplier can simply claim compliance. However, the accuracy of such a claim needs to be justified when challenged by purchasers or Enforcement Authorities.

Check out http://www.fira.co.uk/document/fira-contract-flammability-guide-october-2011pdf.pdf and http://www.fira.co.uk/document/fira-flammability-guide-october-2011pdf.pdf for more information.

I watched the BBC program you spoke of and it is certainly food for thought which can be seen by,

Searching for "Fake Britain Special: Furniture Inferno" in the BBC iPlayer or try http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03qfnsf/Fake_Britain_Special_Furniture_Inferno/

The trouble is what can be done about it, at present the Trading Standards are the enforcing authority but how do they check out testing stations and manufacturers in foreign parts where the problems seems to be. The retailer should ensure the products meet the required standards and should be insisting on proof from the manufacturers that their products are legal. Also the purchaser should be asking the retailers does their product conform to the regulations and not relying on the label only but asking for a copy of the test certificate, if possible.

If you check out the two guides above, the images of the labels are shown, so at least so you can see if the label is what it should be but unfortunately not a total guarantee.

PS I could not see a copy of the image you posted. It said " You do not have permission to view this attachment".

• 1 year later...
Guest Guest

Hi, this is an old post but I have a similar problem. The 'permanent' fire label kept hanging down (sewn to front base, under the cushions)so I cut it off! Now I'd like to rent my flat out furnished....

The sofa is over 5 years old. Think I may be onto a loser here....

Where furniture is supplied by a landlord, the application of the Regulations will depend on whether or not the landlord is acting in the course of a business in letting that property. For example, if a landlord lets furnished property on a one off short-term basis (i.e. whilst, temporarily working away from home) and is unlikely to do so in the course of a business then the Regulations will not apply. If the landlord views the primary purpose of the property as a source of income, rather than his own residence, then this would be considered a business activity and the landlord a supplier. As such the Regulations apply in this case.
If the regulation do apply then as you say you are on a loser but why did you cut it off you could have used copydex to stick it back on.

• 1 month later...
Guest Helen

Thanks for replying. Yes, I wish I'd just glued it in place but I never envisaged renting my place out - but now I've got a job abroad for at least two years, which isn't exactly short term....hopefully I'll be OK as I'm not renting it for business purposes - just to cover my mortgage and to avoid having to sell it. I'll see what the estate agents say. Best wishes, Helen.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gordon

Hi

I have bought a memory foam mattress topper and there is no label on the actual memory foam and only a white label on the cover with what the cover is made of and washing instructions and a line of red text "KEEP AWAY FROM FIRE"

is this the correct labelling? Many thanks

BS 7177 defines a mattress pad (topper) as a product which comprises a cover and filling(s), or filling material(s) alone, designed to be used in conjunction with a mattress or upholstered bed base. Mattress pads (toppers) are mattresses, albeit secondary, as they are not intended to be used separately. Therefore the filling material (foam or non-foam) contained in a mattress pad (topper) must meet the Regulations. In addition the fire safety of the complete product is controlled via the GPSR hence the mattress pad (topper) must also comply with the low hazard category of BS 7177.

It should carry this label,bs%207177%20sign%20low.jpg

• 5 years later...

Hi 

I cant find the Fire Safety label on my sofa bed. I bought from Argos 3 years ago. I no longer need would like to donate to my local charity shop. Unfortunately they won’t accept my donations because of the fire safety label. Can I buy a new label or can the shop provide with a new label.

If you could buy a fire safety label then "everyone" would do it just to say the item is safe, when indeed this may not be the case.

You can however legally give it away providing you point out it has no fire safety label, or take it to the tip like everyone else does. It's a sad thing to do, but its down to liability at the end of the day.

• 4 months later...
Guest Albert Ross

I have two high spec leather sofa's in very good condition where I cut off the labels as soon as I bought the sofas because they looked unsightly, at a time when I was unaware of their importance when selling on / donating later on. I now wish to either donate or sell these sofas. Can I simply reattach a label (one can buy from ebay) or is there anything else I can do as it seems a waste to landfill two splendid sofas. There appears to be a suggest from one of Tom Sutton's helpful posts that I could try doing back to the furniture store as there should be traceability back to manufacturer?

• 3 months later...
Guest recliner riser chaire

i have 2 identical recliner riser chairs but one has had most of the fire label cut off. only the edge is left. can the original label be traced from the manufacturer? Thanks

Guest Multiyork furniture

Hope you can help me. I want to replace my Multiyork sofa which was bought about 18 years ago but I can't find the fire safety label on it.  There is a label giving the serial number, model and size details.  Also the cusions have a label saying they were made by Prima Foam and some numbers.  Is it possible to get the details retrospectively from Multiyork?  Where are their archives kept?

On 13/05/2021 at 09:21, Guest recliner riser chaire said:

i have 2 identical recliner riser chairs but one has had most of the fire label cut off. only the edge is left. can the original label be traced from the manufacturer? Thanks

You would have to ask the manufacturer, but in all honesty, I doubt it.

On 14/05/2021 at 15:58, Guest Multiyork furniture said:

Hope you can help me. I want to replace my Multiyork sofa which was bought about 18 years ago but I can't find the fire safety label on it.  There is a label giving the serial number, model and size details.  Also the cusions have a label saying they were made by Prima Foam and some numbers.  Is it possible to get the details retrospectively from Multiyork?  Where are their archives kept?

You do not need a fire safety label if you are getting a new sofa. You only need a fire safety label if you are selling your old sofa and you are a business.

• 2 months later...
Guest Chair labelling

We are wanting to give away a dining table and 4 chairs. The only fabric on any of it is a thin seat cover on the chair seats. We don't think the chair seats ever had a dangling label, or a sewn in label. We are not a business. Charity shops are saying they can't take any of the set if the seats don't have fire safety labels. The fabric is badly worn and old fashioned, so any new owner would replace them anyway. Do we have any way to donate or give away the set?

Diane and Alan

Shops will only accept soft furnishings if it has a fire safety label, as yours has no label no shop will accept it. BUT as you are private individuals there is no reason you can not give or sell it to another private individual, you could try any of the free online sales sites such as gumtree or if you want nothing for it try your local freecycle group. (Neither charge a fee.)

This seems to be the standard response from most charity shops so unless you are prepared to have them reupholstered and ensure the required labels are fitted. All you can do is try to find one who will accept them without the labels and have them reupholstered themselves. 

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Neelloc

Hi I'm selling my static caravan to a trader and the 3 price suite has no fire retardant labels in.The trader will sell the caravan on. Am I obliged to dispose of the suite or his thectrader allowed to sell the caravan on knowing the suite hasn't hot the required label.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you have a moral duty to inform any purchaser if any items do not meet any legal regulations and get it in writing that he/she is well aware of the situation. You then can leave any decision in their hands as they will now be responsible for the caravan and its contents.

There is also caveat emptor, buyer beware its your decision.

• 6 months later...
Guest Pelle.m

Are there any regulations regarding the placement of the permanent FR labels. For example, do they have to be visible at all times, or can they be sewn into the cover and be visible when the zipper is open?