Guest JenniferKn

Can a fire exit be used as daily entry point?

59 posts in this topic

AnthonyB, we haven't submitted to building control yet. We are still in the process of assessing the options. Our Structural Engineer is currently unsure, or unwilling to commit to weather of not he thinks it is suitable.

Thank you for the response.

Without detailed information it is impossible to say, you need to detail your proposals and have a fire safety consultant to examine them. There are many things to take into account when designing a means of escape plus other items to ensure conformity to The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

The final plans should be in accordance with the Building Regulations guidance.  

Is it legal to put a security tags on every fire exit doors on every level of a department store leading to a stairwell to prevent staff from using it during trading hours.

Hi. I work in a market. One of the fire exits is not visible unless you are stood directly in front of it. The stall that straddles the short corridor to the fire exit is so filled up with clothing that almost reaches the ceiling and encroaches into the aisle.  This creates a bottleneck that also extends down one of the aisles. The fire exit is not visible and there are no other signs to even show there is an exit there. The management don't want to deal with this trader as they say they will have to enforce pulling back into stall boundaries for all stallholders. I believe this is a fire risk as well as making it impossible for disabled people to manoeuvre.  I have had veiled threats from the management if I pursue this. Is there anything I can do? Not sure if folk will be able to get out in the event of a fire.

Hi,  Just a quick question,  If a reception door has a fire escape sign above it and is on the plan as a fire escape should the door be locked out of normal working hours (normal 8am till 5pm) but we have had people in the yard doing 6 till 6 or 2pl till 10pm ?

thanks

Matt

If the premises was on fire do these people have to enter the building to escape from the fire in the premises or is there an alternative means of escape from the yard.

On 2017-6-21 at 13:49, Guest jane said:

Hi. I work in a market. One of the fire exits is not visible unless you are stood directly in front of it. The stall that straddles the short corridor to the fire exit is so filled up with clothing that almost reaches the ceiling and encroaches into the aisle.  This creates a bottleneck that also extends down one of the aisles. The fire exit is not visible and there are no other signs to even show there is an exit there. The management don't want to deal with this trader as they say they will have to enforce pulling back into stall boundaries for all stallholders. I believe this is a fire risk as well as making it impossible for disabled people to manoeuvre.  I have had veiled threats from the management if I pursue this. Is there anything I can do? Not sure if folk will be able to get out in the event of a fire.

Invite your local fire safety enforcement officer down - they will resolve the issues for you.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor