Please could someone advise me on what requirements we need Emergency lighting wise for a block of 5 flats with lots of "borrowed lighting"?

Guest Lucy Cowley

Guest Lucy Cowley

Hello everyone, I wonder if you could give me some advice. We are a block of 5 flats: 2 on the ground floor. 2 on the first floor and 1 on the top floor. We have a very simple entrance way with ceiling to floor windows and flights of stairs up to each floor where there is also ceiling to floor windows....so lots of natural light during the day and lots of borrowed light from very bright street lights at night time. What are the regulations/requirements for emergency lighting please? 

Many thanks in advance. Lucy 

You would have to check that the street lighting was on as required as local authorities are reducing the lighting up times for street lights and are bringing in LED fittings that cast their light differently to the old sodium lights and no longer provide sufficient light.

It's a common retrofit, but the guidance does state that it's a low priority in small blocks and other issues take precedence.

• 4 months later...

The existing (outgoing) fire safety in purpose built flats guide states this. It's draft replacement for small blocks (G-2) takes a similar approach, I'm not sure what it's replacement for large blocs will says although it's normally required for large blocks regardless of borrowed light, but secondary to issues such as fire doors (so they could be done later on in another budget period)