How often do I have to carry out fire safety training?

Guest MrsRai

The appropriated guidance is Educational premises page 111 (7.4) and lists the occasions when training for staff should be carried out and when fie drills should be carried out. Fire drills should be carried out at least annually or as determined by your fire risk assessment. To account for the turnover of pupils/students, there should be a fire drill at least once a year and preferably one a term/semester.

• 4 months later...
Guest Callum

Staff trainign is carried out every so often to enusre that staff know the way around the work place and that they know how to operate when a fire hazard or any other hazards occur in the area

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest Angela

Hi,

we are a small office with 3 members of staff and had fire training some years but was wondering if we need to have it again. Our staff are the same. I cannot seem to find a clear cut answer.
Any advice would be appreceiated

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 Art 21 says training should be repeated periodically where appropriate and the guide for office and shops section 7.4 details all about training, check out https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/14881/fsra-offices-shops.pdf for more information. There is no definitive answer, just ensure your staff know sufficient to escape, if ever there is an emergency in the premises.

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I work as a trainer for a care company and am looking for some help please. Could you tell me if you know how often Fire Awareness Refreshers have to be done- I believe it is every year, but have just been informed for the day staff it is every 6 months?
Also as part of the refresher training I wished to do a fire drill, and the an evacuation scenario, would this suffice?

Thank you

Article 21 of The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, states,

Training

21. (1) the responsible person must ensure that his employees are provided with adequate safety training

(a) at the time when they are first employed; and

(b on their being exposed to new or increased risks

because of,

(i) them being transferred or given a change of responsibilities within the responsible person's undertaking;

(ii) the introduction of new work equipment into, or a change respecting work equipment already in use within, the responsible person's undertaking;

(iii) the introduction of new technology into the responsible person's undertaking; or

(iv) the introduction of a new system of work into, or a change respecting a system of work already in use within, the responsible person's undertaking.

(2) The training referred to in paragraph (1) must,

(a) include suitable and sufficient instruction and training on the appropriate precautions and actions to be taken by the employee in order to safeguard himself and other relevant persons on the premises;

(b be repeated periodically where appropriate;

(c be adapted to take account of any new or changed risks to the safety of the employees concerned;

(d) be provided in a manner appropriate to the risk identified by the risk assessment; and

(e) take place during working hours.

And as you can see there is no set times, as stated "be repeated periodically where appropriate" and the content will depend on the evacuation plan the students/workers are required to follow to keep themselves and their chargers safe 2(a).

• 5 years later...
Guest Jon Randle

Hi Tom, I have recently been told that new legislation dictates that fire awareness training for night staff has to be carried out quarterly. Can you tell me where I can find information of this new legislation please.... 

Check out The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 article 21 Training. It details when training should be carried out and it does not indicate a period of time that retraining should be carried out it just says periodically where appropriate and I am not aware of any changes. Ask to person who told this for chapter and verse. 

Was this a training provider that told you this?

The law hasn't changed at all and the relevant Government Guidance currently doesn't set this frequency either - it does state that the frequency is determined by the risk assessment so it is possible that in some premises it may well be appropriate for quarterly training, but it certainly isn't law nor advised either as a standard frequency.