Are fire rated windows required in flats when they looko onto an internal fire escape route

CenturyGrove

Can anyone please help me with some advice regarding whether I require fire rated windows onto an escape route corridor. I have 12 apartments on the first floor and 12 apartments on the second floor with each flat having an entrance door and a kitchen window on to the corridor. I am looking to install a fire alarm to cover the routes of escape which would be both floors and 2 staircase at opposite ends of the building. The corridors previously had window openings and I have now installed building reg complaints windows with fire escape openings. 
I have been advised of changing the kitchen windows to fire rated windows but I don’t understand why as the corridors have always been the route of escape. Your advice would be appreciated. 

I do not understand the layout you are describing "each flat having an entrance door and a kitchen window on to the corridor" is the door and window in different rooms, also you cannot use fire escape window on the second floor because of the height.

Escape windows cannot be fire rated window because they need to be fixed permanently shut and if the escape corridor is enclosed, the kitchen windows should be fire rated.

I am wondering if anyone could help please.

1. Do replacement external windows on blocks of flats need to be fire rated? And does this differ from windows on standard house dwellings. The windows do not look out onto an external escape.

2. Do external windows on protected escape routes from blocks of flats need to be fire rated?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Tom if a window is looking into a corridor that is open to the fresh air either end of the corridor, does the window need to be fire rated and sealed, thank you

• 2 weeks later...