Electric Strike Advice

Guest Oli_P

Hi Forum!

My company offer a self-service rehearsal, DJ and production room hire solution and customers currently gain access through a battery-powered code locks system. 

We are looking to upgrade our entry system to a mains-powered lock with the following equipment:

• Keypad on wall
  • Electric strike
  • Mortice lock
  • Push pad mortice lock (inside) 

The doors to our studios are Laminesse FireSound 59mm. 

I have received mixed feedback (below) from different suppliers and people on the requirements in regard to integrating this type of system with a fire door. 

1. The electric strike needs to meet the following regs: BS476 part 22 (fire) / Tested to EN1125 standard (CE certification) / Moralt Globals dimension standards. However, from the research I have undertaken, there doesn't seem to be an 'industry standard' electric strike. 
  2. If the door is fire rated and fitted with an intumescent fire door seal, then the strike does not need to have the above certificates etc. if installed correctly.

As you can see, the advice received is conflicting so I thought I'd put this out to the jury on here for discussion (and hopefully some clear guidance)

Looking forward to your responses ?

Thanks, 

Oli 

This is what the general fire safety guidance says:

"Electromechanical devices

Electromechnical devices comprise electromechanical lock keeps and draw bolts, which can be controlled by people inside the premises by entering a code or by using ‘smart cards’, which have been adapted to control the exit from certain areas. These devices have been fitted in many premises and may be linked to the fire-detection and/or warning system. Experience has shown that these devices can fail to open in a number of ways. They are dependent on a spring mechanism to return the lock keep or draw bolt(s) and are liable to jam when pressure is applied to the door. It is also relatively easy to fit them incorrectly.

Electromechanical locking devices are normally unacceptable on escape doors, unless they are fitted with a manual means of overriding the locking mechanism such as a push bar, push pad or lever handle or that they do not rely on a spring mechanism, fail-safe open and are not affected by pressure, in which case the criteria for electromagnetic devices should be applied."

Not much help on maintaining fire integrity of the doorset!

Have you asked the BWF or the Guild of Architectural Ironmongers - both provide useful guidance.

It appears the guidance you are getting is for the fire door set and not the magnetic lock but when you are fitting the lock you must not jeopardise the integrity of the fire door set. Also the lock should be installed in accordance with BS 7273 part 4.